Pull-out Kitchen Thread

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
TitanPat's post here prompted this thread. I'm hoping that links to any pull-out kitchen build threads will be posted here. I know that the Kimberly's come with one, but I can't say that I've seen any user-built pull-out kitchens except dieselcruiserhead's 410/101 built-in. I have been contemplating building one for the TrailBlazer and I'd like to see what others have done.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm building a pull out on mine, but not really much details to show yet. I got one 400lb 48" slide mounted, and then stopped.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Well I'm subscribing, not because I have one but because I want one and hope this turns into a rich resource, both photographic and and full of great ideas. Wouldn't mine a few "OMG don't do this":sombrero::coffeedrink:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Well, OK. See if I can get the ball rolling though I have only a little of the hardware - it's mostly 'vaporware' at this point. I've been messing around with various concepts and this is the leading contender thus far:
attachment.php

I don't know that this version will actually fit in the space available, but it is close and has all of the desired (thus far) features in place. I'm a ways off from being able to start on the project (comes AFTER the FJ60's engine swap) so I have time to keep working with it.

Attachments

• assem1.jpg
    assem1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 6,800

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Nice, I have to 300lb, 36" slides waiting to have a cabinet built around them, but similarly, I haven't done much as of yet. My biggest issue so far is how to make it slide and still get the storage doors and everything done...

Can't wait to see what some others have done.

-

RufusXXL

Great thread.

I am still in thinking mode as well. I like the looks of a pull-out kitchen but I don't really see the benefits over for example the Conqueror set up: Kitchen flips open and fridge next to it slides out. To me that looks like the ideal solution: simple and robust......

choices...choices.....

Robert

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That's a great solution if you have a tall trailer like a Conqueror. However, if you have an M416 or a short trailer... there really isn't room to do that.

My design was originally just like a Conqueror Conquest, but then I wanted an oven as well as a stove, so I bought a Camp Chef knockoff. Now the stove is on top of the oven, and if I placed that on the counter, it just doesn't work, as the stove top is too high. So, that's why it had to go on a slide with the fridge. That's fine, because now I have more counter space on the side of the trailer, which I needed because I stupidly made that door much too big to serve as a counter. It's too deep, and you couldn't reach the cabinets.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My primary goal is for the work surface to be at normal kitchen counter height when the trailer has been leveled on flat ground. In order to clear the slider frame the stove has to be slightly lower, but I doubt that will be an issue.

I am currently thinking in terms of a stainless steel work surface on top of the slider, and a stainless sink. Most likely I will use a bucket under the sink for the gray water. There just isn't room for a gray water tank, and the gravity drain plumbing for one on a slider would be possible, but not likely very robust.

A related issue that is eventually going to come up is what to do with the fridge. It could sit on top of the kitchen box, but then my GF would not be able to get inside it w/o climbing up on the trailer. Current plan is for the trailer's spare to sit upright on the tongue in front of the box, so that location is consumed.

--

BTW, Andre's slide-out kitchen build starts at post #160 here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20925&page=16
I know that I've seen a more finished picture somewhere, but this was best picture that I quickly found of it:
attachment.php

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Great idea Captain......guess that's why you're in charge:ylsmoke:

This one really has my eye as far as compact and convienance

http://www.drifta.com.au/setDPOR.htm
Ahhh....the drifta stuff...yes very inspiring....he was supposed to set up a USA operation but I think it fell thru.....nice stuff and well thought out. As to the model he uses (his wife) I sure hope he knows what a lucky Aussie he is....:sombrero:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just a suggestion but....

Have you seen the ones Trakka uses on their TLCs? Seems like a really nice set up and wouldn't be that hard to make and fit to a trailer.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
http://www.trakka.com.au/bushint.html

Looks to be little more than a pull-out shelf with a stove fixed (?) to it. Nice and simple. Wonder if they are using drawer slides or something proprietary? the rear pull-outs have drawer slides, but I do not see them in the kitchen pull-out.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
With all the weight on the slide out, will fold-down legs be a standard item, for stability?

This is a good suggestion. My Kimberly has the slide out kitchen and the fold down support legs really add to the stabilty when set up. Would be pretty simple to add into the design and well worht the effort in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94