Pull-out Kitchen Thread

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Here is where I am heading... I've been working on another round of mods on my trailer... the kitchen is 2nd on the list!

So I have decided on a design, thanks for all the imput everyone. My biggest missing link was deciding on whether or not the $$$$ involved in heavy duty drawer slides was worth it or not. Well, I was surfing on Ebay the other day and found a supplier getting rid of HUGE 48" full extension drawer slides, for $30 bucks a pair! I couldn't go wrong, so I ordered two sets and they arrived this week. I am stoked- they are not as nice as some of the accuride models but they are amazingly beefy for my needs!

Here is a rough sketch of what I plan on doing for the slide out kitchen. I will have a sink, faucet, stove, cutting board, extendable shelf, storage for pots, storage for utensils and other items too.

I plan on using polyethlene (cutting board material) to create the entire counter top/work space. It is anti-bacteria absorbing, easy to clean, sanitary, stable and easily worked with my tools. I will pick up the sheet I need early this week and start the build.

I am going to do one of two things with the sink (craigslist $15 find! ). I will either cut out the existing holes and reweld the edge of the sink back on making a square mounting surface, or I will open up the 3 holes into one elongated rectangle and fill it with a "pocket" that can store towels, soap, dish brushes, tooth paste, things like that.

I will have one counter accesable hatch that will store the pots and pans and other things that will fit, maybe some plates and the coffee press.

The stove is a cheap-o Coleman, that I can find replacement parts anywhere in the country. It will be bolted down to a slide out underneath the counter and will house its own slide out shelf for all the things we seem to keep out while cooking If I have learned anything about using my trailer it is that EVERY horizontal space in the trailer is usually in "use" before we depart from camp.I feel like this is creating the space I have been longing for. That in combination with a fold out table, and I should be all set... for now

The kitchen slide out will be roughly 14" tall, leaving me at least enough room for 2-3 four inch tall drawers for storage.

Overall, I think it will be really nice. I am going to build the kitchen first then I will know exactly what is needed inside the trailer to make it work dimensionally.

attachment.php

attachment.php

stomperxj

Explorer
Bumping this to the top for any more ideas or updates from the builds listed... I'm working out some preliminary details for a slide out on Sawtooth 2...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What I need is a source for a folding faucet. I'm a ways yet from needing it, but some preliminary searching some time ago came to naught. I can build one, but I'd rather buy one if there is a source out there.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
I had no idea so many other people were working on this concept. I just finished a scale model of my pull-out kitchen v2.0 and am now trying to work out a few design bugs. I have to build 1/3 scale models out of poster board since I don't have those fancy pants computer programs like some of you.:sombrero:

I think I'm on to something good for my needs - or actually my wife's needs since a condition of the trailer purchase is that she gets a gourmet kitchen on wheels.

It's basically a 72" deep by 20" wide full pullout box that will pull out of the back tailgate of the trailer. When standing at the back of the trailer, the far end (front of the trailer) has the Norcold 60 and the near end has the sink. To expose the sink, you open a lid which has a Brunton 3 burner stove mounted to it (upside down in the closed position) and the "sides" of the box become the work surface. There are a few issues to work out but I have some solutions in my mind.

This kitchen will occupy about half of the trailer tub and offer a sink with hot/cold water, the fridge, plenty of counter surface, all pot/plate/utensil storage and be able to setup up in less than a minute. At least that's the idea. I know the pics are terrible and probably don't communicate the concept very well....

Biggest obstacle so far is that I haven't been able to find 72" full extension 500lb slides. 60" is the longest I've seen online. Any sources for long ones?

You might not need 500lb slides. The foam core is pretty light! :D

JPK

Explorer

rodrage

Adventurer
Not sure if this will help anybody, but I have some pictures of the kitchen I built prior to the trailer build. The idea was to have plenty of counter space and all of the amenities that we would like to have on the trail in one area. Although the fridge is further forward, most everything will be pulled out from the rear hatch. The kitchen box will run on heavy industrial machine sliders and will unfold after it pulls out and opens to a drain-side sink with a folding faucet. The stationed side will house an 18" partner stove with a lid top and a small utility drawer. A nested top will attach to a pair of clips that corner a small counter top. The pantry, attached to the rear trailer hatch will house crockery and some utility items- (Cups, paper towels, knife block spices, etc). The pull out will sit below a cubby shelf that will hold cookware and food. Just over the rear main bay door will be another small boxed/canned food pantry within a 9" hatch door.
I would suggest, if at all possible to contact Luke at Drifta in Australia and lobby him to send a container (or two) of his kitchens, trailers, and other equipment and purchase as much as you can afford. I have used his kitchens and they are they best built, practical design in the business.
The heartache is building a one-off set-up. It is VERY time, (and money) consuming. The production pieces have been tried and proven. You will waste as much as you build if your skills are like mine.
I wanted wood, but I wanted it to survive the rain storms that I always find myself in while camping. Therefore, I wanted marine grade plywood. This stuff is NOT all created equally. ALL of it is expensive, and the good stuff is only found along coastal regions that still put wood on boats. Do your research. This stuff does not cut, route, sand, or finish like other wood. I ended up with what I could get and afford and used allot of 3/4". Yes, it was heavy but the 1/2" I wanted to use was just a plague of problems. Coated in lacquer and bright orange laminate, it turned out ok. I just wish I could have talked Luke into shipping one of his to the states.
FullSizeRender(7).jpg
FullSizeRender(6).jpg
FullSizeRender(5).jpg
FullSizeRender(8).jpg
FullSizeRender(10).jpg
FullSizeRender(16).jpg
FullSizeRender(19).jpg
FullSizeRender(22).jpg
FullSizeRender(9).jpg
FullSizeRender(12).jpg

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
My kitchen pulls out but I don't.

photo%201-M.jpg

Question. How often is a small sink used when camping? I keep thinking of how/what I'm going to do when I make a pull out kitchen for my m101 and think a stove and counter space is almost certainly the best use of space. Perhaps a small drop on bracket or something on the end where a sink/wash tub could be added if needed. But mainly I'm thinking storage for the basic utensils and maybe a few dishes (pan, kettle, plate, mug) and a stove and counter space.

I do plan on eventually having on demand water (and no clue where I'll put a facet) but for the kitchen, I think I'm mostly looking for counter/prep space.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Not sure if this will help anybody, but I have some pictures of the kitchen I built prior to the trailer build. The idea was to have plenty of counter space and all of the amenities that we would like to have on the trail in one area. Although the fridge is further forward, most everything will be pulled out from the rear hatch. The kitchen box will run on heavy industrial machine sliders and will unfold after it pulls out and opens to a drain-side sink with a folding faucet. The stationed side will house an 18" partner stove with a lid top and a small utility drawer. A nested top will attach to a pair of clips that corner a small counter top. The pantry, attached to the rear trailer hatch will house crockery and some utility items- (Cups, paper towels, knife block spices, etc). The pull out will sit below a cubby shelf that will hold cookware and food. Just over the rear main bay door will be another small boxed/canned food pantry within a 9" hatch door.
I would suggest, if at all possible to contact Luke at Drifta in Australia and lobby him to send a container (or two) of his kitchens, trailers, and other equipment and purchase as much as you can afford. I have used his kitchens and they are they best built, practical design in the business.
The heartache is building a one-off set-up. It is VERY time, (and money) consuming. The production pieces have been tried and proven. You will waste as much as you build if your skills are like mine.
I wanted wood, but I wanted it to survive the rain storms that I always find myself in while camping. Therefore, I wanted marine grade plywood. This stuff is NOT all created equally. ALL of it is expensive, and the good stuff is only found along coastal regions that still put wood on boats. Do your research. This stuff does not cut, route, sand, or finish like other wood. I ended up with what I could get and afford and used allot of 3/4". Yes, it was heavy but the 1/2" I wanted to use was just a plague of problems. Coated in lacquer and bright orange laminate, it turned out ok. I just wish I could have talked Luke into shipping one of his to the states.
View attachment 362563
View attachment 362564
View attachment 362562
View attachment 362565
View attachment 362566
View attachment 362567
View attachment 362568
View attachment 362569
View attachment 362570
View attachment 362571
That is awesome! Do you have more pictures and a parts list? That would be very helpful with my kitchen build.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

rodrage

Adventurer
I had a few build progress pictures that I can PM you so I don't junk up the thread. Didn't really have a parts list- just some rough measurements of what would fit in the trailer. If you need any specifics, let me know and I'll find it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online