The best adventure travel boots.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have had a few pairs of North face, only had an issue with one pair and the soles separating on them. The store I bought them from would not warranty them so I never shopped there again. I bought two pairs since because at the time they were the only gore tex I could find. Since then I have switched to salomon for my sneaker type shoes. They are very comfortable and durable.

My timberlands are my woods boots now. Use them whenever we go in the jeep/ATV/UTV.

texascrane

Adventurer
I picked up a pair of the Merrell All Out Blaze Mids a few weeks back. I've been very impressed so far. I've been wearing Sanuk's for years, so for me, less is definitely more. I bought these Merrells after my trail gloves finally bit the dust and I wanted something that was just a bit more substantial for hiking around in the muck and rocks and whatnot. The All Out Blaze Mids aren't quite true minimalist shoes, they do a reasonably good job of finding a middle ground between something like the Merrell Moab and Trail Gloves. They've got a wide toe box and the while the sole is definitely substantial, it has some flex and it doesn't feel like there's too much drop heel to toe.

http://gearjunkie.com/hiking-boot-review-2014?pg=10

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I picked up a pair of the Merrell All Out Blaze Mids a few weeks back. I've been very impressed so far. I've been wearing Sanuk's for years, so for me, less is definitely more. I bought these Merrells after my trail gloves finally bit the dust and I wanted something that was just a bit more substantial for hiking around in the muck and rocks and whatnot. The All Out Blaze Mids aren't quite true minimalist shoes, they do a reasonably good job of finding a middle ground between something like the Merrell Moab and Trail Gloves. They've got a wide toe box and the while the sole is definitely substantial, it has some flex and it doesn't feel like there's too much drop heel to toe.

http://gearjunkie.com/hiking-boot-review-2014?pg=10
I've been curious about that one and the Verterra mid as well.
About the only boots that are low to the ground, flexible, and come in grown-up sizes.

That's another thing that has to be considered, btw. Sizes.
Little shoes on little people are subjected to less wear and tear. My wife's shoes last twice as long as mine (at least). Smaller feet flex the boot less; lower body weight imposes less dynamic load to the construction.
So when somebody says that brand X works great and somebody else says brand x falls apart in a month, ask "what size are you?"

libarata

Expedition Leader
Goretex is silly on a boot. Leather with a proper coating of mink oil performs just as well, and if you scuff or knick the boot, you can fill it in.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Goretex is silly on a boot. Leather with a proper coating of mink oil performs just as well, and if you scuff or knick the boot, you can fill it in.
I agree with you in theory and prefer a simpler approach ---- but I haven't found a simple leather boot to fit...

The Irish Setter VaprTreks are working out well. They're definitely for cool/wet weather though.

peneumbra

Explorer
I've put an entire summer's wear on my La Sportiva Glacier boots - including numerous walks from the living room to the kitchen, sometimes in complete darkness - and they've held up very well.

One thing I like is that the Vibram soles they're equipped with picks up far fewer cinders than my White's Smokejumpers.

kojackJKU

When you live in a super rainy part of the world then I disagree. Gore-Tex is very much a great feature in footwear, and clothing in general.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Im glad someone else said it. I always thought gortex was awesome

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I find it awesome for our climate. Cold and wet, I am warm and dry! Simple. We get rain for weeks on end, and just above freezing. Gore tex is awesome in everything I own from my winter snow wear, boots, my adv motorcycle gear, to my sneakers. It works.

Wainiha

Explorer
I like my Scarpas with Goretex. Wore them in Montana and here on Kauai which is still possibly the wettest spot in the world.

kojackJKU

I laugh at people from warm dry climates crapping on gore tex. Its not made for you. its made for us in sloppy, rainy, cold, crappy climates. When we have over a foot of slush on the road and parking lots, goretex is a god send. waterproof coatings don't work here as they do in nice dry climates. The water will seep right through seams etc. Whereas with gore tex, It blocks and prevents this from happening.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I laugh at people from warm dry climates crapping on gore tex. Its not made for you. its made for us in sloppy, rainy, cold, crappy climates. When we have over a foot of slush on the road and parking lots, goretex is a god send. waterproof coatings don't work here as they do in nice dry climates. The water will seep right through seams etc. Whereas with gore tex, It blocks and prevents this from happening.

Agreed, I've never had any issues with goretex, most currently in my Danner Mountin Lights, half the year we have snow and lots of rain in between

Last edited:

RangeBrover

Explorer
I love my Goretex Asolos but they get pretty hot in the summer months. That being said they keep my feet dry 12 months out of the year and haven't died yet after 5 years of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier