The best adventure travel boots.

srschick

Adventurer
I have a pair of La Sportiva Omega GTX boots that have held up pretty damn well over the past couple of years. Probably put around 200 hiking miles each year, a few snow outings, and a couple of off-road trips. The soles are barely worn, the uppers show almost no wear. Easy to keep clean as well.
Bought them at REI, I was a little hesitant as I didn't know much about the brand. Tried them on and immediately found they fit perfectly. The break in was a little longer than some other boots I've owned, but once broken in they've become mighty comfortable.

Bluegrass Taco

Adventurer
I'm a bit over weight, so tough on my feet and legs. I'm diabetic with nueropothy, so my feet give me fits. I used to race dirt bikes and have had broken bones in both feet and have the after effects of that.

So. Shoes HAVE to fit. They HAVE to provide good support. And I have to change shoes/boots periodically, not being able to go long periods of time with the same thing on my feet.

I wear Timberland Pro work boots during the day at work (have to wear steel toes) Evenings and weekends, and whenever we go hiking or just stomping around in the woods, I have a pair of Keens (mid-tops....Cascade's IIRC) and a pair of Columbia's that are so comfortable I wear 'em around the house until bed time....

Both provide great ankle support. Both have excellent traction. Both have great arch support. Both are light as air. Until a year or so ago, I wrote this style of hiker off as "just another tennis shoe". My son bought me the first pair of Keens for fathers day. It took about 10 minutes to become a big fan. My boss gave me a gift certificate for the first pair of Columbia's. I'm hooked on them.

I may try a pair of Merrils in the near future. I like their looks. As I said, I have to alternate shoes frequently to keep pain to a minimum.

A couple weeks ago, I took my wife with me to Cabella's and bought her a pair of Keens. She wears them constantly. Says they're the most comfortable shoes she's ever had on. Now I'm not always such a tough sale. But Sandy doesn't hand out compliments too often. She just raves about the Keens.

Last edited:

rotti

Adventurer
I have a pair of Moabs on now, I meant to get some new boots over the weekend as these are falling apart. They are not too much older than a year and the left sole is separating from the shoe on the outside front, by my small toe.

Mine too.
Very comfortable but total crap materials and construction....I'm done with Merrill products. Just bought a pair of Oboz and so far so good.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
I saw these boots in the current Vintage Overland report. Can anyone identify them?

home3-640x279.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
Bill, it may be too late now, but the main REI store in Atlanta has Zamberland boots in stock. I tried a pair on a few weeks ago, before I bought my Lowas and they were just a bit stiffer than I would like. I am an average size guy, so the extra stiffness and support may be better for someone taller or heavier than I.

I only have one hike, about 8 miles, on the Lowas and they did not break in on that. Will try to get another one this weekend and see if I can get them to loosen up a bit. They were purchased for backpacking, so they may not be the best "overlanding" boot. I believe it is important to purchase something designed for your purposes, and the Lowas are. Let's see how they hold up....

Cheers

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill, it may be too late now, but the main REI store in Atlanta has Zamberland boots in stock. I tried a pair on a few weeks ago, before I bought my Lowas and they were just a bit stiffer than I would like. I am an average size guy, so the extra stiffness and support may be better for someone taller or heavier than I....

Cheers
I don't think that Zamberlan makes anything in a 14, let alone a 14 wide.
I'm happy enough with the Durand for hiking --- I'd really prefer something more flexible and much lighter but I can't find anything like that.
And the Blackhawk is good for overlanding. Not quite water"proof" but it's rugged, water resistant, flexible enough to feel the clutch, high enough to keep out mud, good cleats, warm enough, cool enough, etc.
Again, I'd prefer a more minimalist version but you can't go wrong for $45 and it fits.

Just picked up these Vasque Sundowners. Comfy!
View attachment 326773

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those used to be my favorite boots! One pair lasted me 8 years, found another at a REI yard sale that last me a couple of more until my foot decided to grow a little. My dad finally wore them out several years later. Bought another pair about 4 years ago. Sole wore out super quick. Sent them off to "Dave" the resolve guy and he informed me that the midsole was cracked in two and they couldn't be repaired. He said that Vasqu has moved production from Italy to China and quality control has been affected. I was pretty let down. Hopefully you have better luck with yours!

Tembo

topless adventures
During my military days I had a great pair of mountain boots made in Bavaria. Heavy, but lasted for at least 10 years. I never went in for goretex boots...instead always used goretex socks. My rationale proved out over hundreds of patrols where after a river crossing the guys with goretex danners had sopping wet feet. I would pull off my boots, change my socks for a dry pair and presto...warm dry feet. Near the end of my career I did a 3-day hike on the Chilkoot trail in Alaska but had sprained my ankle a few weeks before training. So I chose a very light canvas pair of French/Israeli patrol boots as my Bavarian boots were just too heavy. Absolutely loved those canvas boots!

So, for the past years I have essentially lived in Palladium Pampa boots...I have been in deserts in Africa, around the Middle East, Rocky mountains, jungles in Asia...even Norway at -20c in mine (although not too far outdoors at that temp!). They are light, breath really well, dry fast and have a good tread. Pretty much all I own now.

palladiums.jpeg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Whats funny is that after I mentioned my timberland boots, there were a lot of people bitching about how crappy they were. Well, $119 Canadian, waterproof, and taking a **** licking for the past year and a half, they still work and look great. I have nothing but great things to say. I have had 2 pairs of timberlands and both exceeded my expectations of what my footwear should do. Great boots and great price.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
x2 on Palladiums. Even the lowest end stuff (the bare cotton baggy boots) holds up great. Good grip and tread. Nice color selection, and their stuff is always on sale. I destroy footwear and these guys are holding up so far. Sole wear is good, which makes sense when you consider they came from making aircraft tires. Their warranty and customer service (at least out here in California) is surprisingly top-notch.

You can wax their cotton boots for good waterproofing but lose some breathe-ability. Have not tried their waterproofed line yet. The windbreaker H looks promising. Definitely expedition material.

Side note for eagle-eyed viewers: A few mid-90s Camel Trophy teams were using palladiums during the events :coffeedrink:. Only noticed this after I started wearing a pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne