The best adventure travel boots.

Mapcinq

I recently got a pair of Patagonia Tin Shed boots... Im loving them so far. They are a lot lighter than my Zamberlans, and more suitable for everyday wear. Im not sure how well they will hold up to hard use, so Ill just avoid using them in certain situations for now. Would definitely reccommend these boots.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
for campsite relaxing and everyday urban use I can't say enough about sanuks. They are the most comfortable footwear. i have four pairs!

96Delica

Adventurer
I wear steel toe Blundstones for work and they are by far the most comfortable pair of footwear I own. Before these, I've never had a work boot I wear when I'm not working. $200 well spent! Great for driving because they aren't bulky, and they slip on. Only drawback is lack of ankle support.

BMB

My latest pair are some Asolo Drifters have found them to be damn comfortable relatively light and tough love'em

D110

Observer
I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots (Emerson) that I picked up as factory 2nds on Sierra Trading post - these have been my go to travel boots. The great thing about them is they are really good leather and unlined which means they aren't too heavy for hotter climates, yet are reasonably waterproof. I find lined/ waterproof hiking boots too bulky for driving and often the soles are too stiff for pedal feedback. For me a mid/ lightweight unlined leather boot is the way to go, and I really like the sole on the Emerson which is a softer/ more flexible material than a heavier duty vibram hiker. The Emerson works well pounding the pavement in a foreign city, spending hours in the car, and is great around the campsite and on trails - if you are planning on "real hiking" or carrying a heavy pack, you probably want a dedicated hiking boot.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Adding my choice into the mix:

Wide foot fit, my feet were kindly referred to be diving fins at my fitting shop :) and jokes about me becoming an Olympic swimmer were made.....

Good ol' earthy Yorkshire folk humour.

Flexible for long days of driving, strong enough for hiking.

Every time I put these on, I breathe that pleasant sigh of relief.

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/meran-gtx

kojackJKU

picked up a pair of timberland waterproof hiking boots last night at the grand opening of the local sport check. My son has a job there, so we got huge discounts. less than 90 bucks for the boots. Im impressed so far. I only wore them around the house a bit with no socks on....I was in my keen sandals all day. Im popping on a pair of good socks and wearing them all day if I can. we have been getting 90 plus degrees everyday for the past month. I may have to swap back and forth between my sandals and the boots. All reports are good so far tho.

kojackJKU

Wayyyyyy too overbuilt for me.

This is what I'm wearing now; I want something similar but with a slightly more robust sole and upper.
No heel. No arch support. Lots and lots of flex.

LEM_Boulder.jpg

Bill,

what are they? they look awesome. almost like my sanuks on bottom. where do you get them? do they run true to size?

jhill15

Explorer
Wayyyyyy too overbuilt for me.

This is what I'm wearing now; I want something similar but with a slightly more robust sole and upper.
No heel. No arch support. Lots and lots of flex.

LEM_Boulder.jpg
Gotta chime in. Im used to wearing my hiking merrells with a vibram sole boots, very durable waterproof and great sole. However im with the above post, I love my sanuks especially my yoga mat flippys and these boots looks pretty comfy!!! What brand are they???

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Russell Moccasin
Russell Moccasin was the worst experience I ever had. They're clueless and run by a senile person. They claim to make "custom" boots; they don't. They make handmade boots to their Munson Army Last and take pot-shots at sizing you.
I followed their protocols, traced my feet, sent my money, waited, got my boots. They were two sizes too long and two sizes too narrow.
They would NOT attempt to remake them for me. Refunded my money but not all of it. Kept the $50 shipping/all-leather/extended-size upcharges and I paid return shipping too.
If you're easy to fit and want a pair of well-made boots, try Russell. If you're hard to fit, avoid them.

Bill,

what are they? they look awesome. almost like my sanuks on bottom. where do you get them? do they run true to size?
Those are LEMS. http://www.lemsshoes.com/
Outrageously comfortable.
You can get them online or from some select retailers. Look at their links and learn about how your biomechanics work.
They run about 1/4 to 1/2 size short but are wonderfully wide in the toe box.

I went ahead and bought a pair of Merrell Proterra Mid hikers from Sierra Trading Post. I had tried on the GTX version, Goretex, and it was too tight. Merrell doesn't extend the outside with the lining so I figured that the unlined would be perfect; it is. The boot is almost a minimalist but has a thicker sole and about a 5mm drop. No insulation but should be good for 3 season camping. Very comfy and true to size.

Last edited:

jdlobb

Adventurer
don't know if it's been said, but you kinda can't go wrong with just a pair of LL Bean duck boots.

Waterproof, flexible enough to drive in, comfortable, and only $109.

Plus, if you wear them out, decide you don't like them, you can return them. Even if they're completely trashed.

kojackJKU

Thanks a million Bill. My wife and I are both ordering LEMS. They look like the sanuk mentality. SUPER Comfortable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz