Tent Cot to Roof Top Tent conversion

I took the legs off of my double tent cot and mounted it to a painted cut to size piece of plywood. The plywood is needed to keep the cot frame from twisting - the legs used to keep this from happening. I added a aluminum channel to stiffen and to connect to the Yakamia rack (no pictured). I will be working on a cover. More pics to come...I will have it where I can move to my Nissan Frontier and the wifes Xterra.

718414402_jpgaY-M.jpg

718414252_TGZXe-M.jpg

718414061_xSWfH-M.jpg

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
definitely more pics of everything! I was considering buying one just to test out. It needs to be fairly low-profile imo when folded up. What are you doing about a ladder?

AndrewP

Explorer
LOL-The poor man's roof top tent.

I have thought of this many times. Even got to the point of putting some plywood on my roof rack and setting up the Tent-cot in the driveway. With the height of the truck and the height of the tent cot it felt like I was 20 feet off the ground. It seemed like it would work. How do you plan to get in and out?

yas all of the pick I have seen on tent cots no one took the legs off...but the is the ticket...it lightens up and the profile is a lot lower...I plan to build a light weight ladder.:costumed-smiley-007

Romer

Adventurer
I thought the bottom of that was like the Oasis II I have. Kind of like a trampoline material to make it a comfortable platform to sleep on. Did you add some foam since the thin base is now against plywood?

correct...the bed is suspended from the frame rails...with the legs keeping you off the ground...once mounted to the wood it is just like all of the other RTT it requires a sleeping pad.:ylsmoke:

I thought the bottom of that was like the Oasis II I have. Kind of like a trampoline material to make it a comfortable platform to sleep on. Did you add some foam since the thin base is now against plywood?

CYi5

Explorer
Does the plywood center section have to be so big? Can't you trim it down to fit the middle? What are the interior dimensions? (could you fit a queen/full size air mattress that stays inside permanently, then just air up when you unfold the tent?) I've had surprisingly good luck with wal-mart air mattresses in the past...others haven't been so lucky though I know.

Last edited:
My only problem with the Tent cot is the bar that goes between each occupant. By removing the legs, does that remove the bar? Definately would like some more detailed pics of the whole unit. This may be the ticket for sure!

The double cots go for what? Less than 300?

CYi5

Explorer
I'm sure I can figure out a way to mount low and a cover really wouldn't be hard to make. I'm just still trying to think of an effective way to get into it. Bajaracks makes a rear ladder for the 4runner now, but paying $250+ for a ladder sorta eliminates the budget RTT aspect.

I'm sure I can figure out a way to mount low and a cover really wouldn't be hard to make. I'm just still trying to think of an effective way to get into it. Bajaracks makes a rear ladder for the 4runner now, but paying $250+ for a ladder sorta eliminates the budget RTT aspect.

Get some aluminum stock and cut it out to your dimensions and bring to an aluminum welder, maybe $50.

If I go this route, I'm just going to build one like this...

more pics of the "tent cot" to "roof tent" conversion project...

727055945_ux8up-L.jpg
this shows the packed size....

727056147_9nLMq-L.jpg

see this link for lots of detailed pictures of how I cut the backer board, attached the frame, etc.....Yes there is a center bar and I think it could be removed as well and the hinges...as one can see from the pictures all of the legs and parts bolt together so there is no risk with expermenting...

http://hightechcoonass.smugmug.com/Other/roof-top-tents/10376195_8xGak#718414402_jpgaY

a few years ago when I first got it.....

61417584_FzwiF-L.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94