Tom Sheppard and his G-Wagen

I'd buy it if I could register it. Which I can't.
I feel so fortunate that the window of opportunity on Unimogs briefly opened for N. America 2003-6 and I was able to get one. My only regret was I didn't order the switchable steering wheel.

Charlie

otiswesty

Regular guy
Tom is currently working on a photography book, documenting the remote areas of the Sahara. I have seen a pre-print version, and it is epic.

The book is about ready. Tom has said that the official release date is this summer. However, he is expecting them from the printer April 8th and has promised to ship me a copy on the 9th, possibly his first out the door.:wings:

The book can be found on his website: www.desertwinds.co.uk
I believe he is currently accepting preorders.

HeftySmurf

Observer
Great info on Tom and his G wagon. Looking at the photos I have a question about recovery. I like how he does not have an eye catching bumper on the front but what or how does he work self-recovery, especially being solo? I know he's good but...:ylsmoke:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Hey Scott, is Tom's G the same W/B as this 3dr???

300GD-orange-2.jpg

I don't have a good side shot to know if it's a mid or long W/B rig but I LOVE it. I think this is one of the few trucks that could steal my heart away from a 70Series Troupy... And that's saying alot for me :D I think this is my favorite model (with or without the small window in the rear) and I'd LOVE to have all the neat added features Tom has added, I espescialy LOVE the fresh-air inlet/vents, that is SO cool. I also love the ability to select the axle ratings F/R, it just add's to the awesome utility of these trucks and their dedication to making onbe hell of a 4wd what ever the customer thinks that is for their particular needs... and no matter what you get F/R selectable lockers :D cause, well every 4wd SHOULD have those. THAT is a marketing/engineering aproach I can get behind eh.

I keep seeing a guy localy (SE Portland) with a great olive-drab G and it's just such an awesome looking truck. Any Portland area guy's/gals who know who this is??? I already tracked down one neighbor with some zawesome Rovers on this board, just wondering if maybe the G-Wagen owner is here as well, you never know on The Portal eh ;)

Anyway back to Tom's awesome truck...

Cheers

Dave

michaelgroves

Explorer
Great info on Tom and his G wagon. Looking at the photos I have a question about recovery. I like how he does not have an eye catching bumper on the front but what or how does he work self-recovery, especially being solo? I know he's good but...:ylsmoke:

High lift / exhaust jack and hard work... :) Actually, I suspect Tom doesn't get stuck.

The thing I wonder about (and VDEG didn't really clarify), is why he carries fuel in jerry cans in what is obviously a dedicated expedition vehicle. Surely a tank in a similar location would be more convenient to fill, less smelly, less likely to chafe, easier to use the fuel...? I'm sure he's got a good reason, just haven't figured out what it is! (There are a few benefits to cans that I can think of, but nothing compelling).

thecriscokid

Explorer
I remember reading that his reasoning is so he could unload those jerry cans to drop the weight of the truck when stuck in the sand and also the ease of calculating fuel.
So basic. I love reading his articles on packing.

4xdog

Explorer
And for those of us into this kind of thing, the images in Tom Sheppard's latest book are being done using stochastic printing. The detail from this process is simply amazing -- much, much better than the traditional halftone screens. I think I'm going to have to add this one to my library...

michaelgroves

Explorer
I remember reading that his reasoning is so he could unload those jerry cans to drop the weight of the truck when stuck in the sand and also the ease of calculating fuel.
So basic. I love reading his articles on packing.

Tom Sheppard's VDEG is the bible, and I also pore over his articles on packing (and the rest!), but on this point... I just can't see the trade-off being worthwhile. There's nothing basic about packing and managing jerry cans full of diesel. I'm taking this as evidence of a foible, and that he really is just human after all... :)

</hijack>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94