Thanksgiving thread

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I figured that since this is the food forum and Thanksgiving is coming up in a few days, we needed a thread for it. So the basic rule here is to post your plans of what your going to cook, or a picture of it...but with one catch. It has to be cooked outside, nothing from your indoors kitchen.

Myself, I'm planning on doing the green bean casserole in my dutch oven out on the back patio. We got a small turkey and I wanted to cook that in the dutch oven, but my wife said she doesn't want me to mess it up, so I get to do the fool proof side dish instead.

:drool::chef:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Last year the cousins did a turkey cook off.
One Baked, one smoked, and one deep fried.

This year the crowd is going to be much smaller so only one turkey - we took a vote and will be doing a deep fried.
Here are the two we did outside last year -

The Deep Fry! So tasty!
PB220316.jpg

The Smoked -
PB220306.jpg

Can't wait! :chef:

mmccurdy

Adventurer
This year we're going for something a little different -- planning to do the whole nine yards in a backcountry location in the Panamint Valley :chef:

Turkey and potatoes in a pit in the ground for a few hours, bread in a dutch oven, sides on more traditional field stoves/grills.

Should be fun, I can already taste it :sombrero:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I never have done the deep fried but man that looks good! May have to give it a go this year...

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have enjoyed deep fried Turkeys with friends camping before. I was amazing how moist and delicious they were. Num Num.:eatchicke

We already had our family get together early last weekend so tomorrow I plan to rotisserie cook another Turkey. I'll try to snap a pick of it while it's cooking and post it up.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Alton Brown is THE man. I had about 25 or 30 episodes on my DVR a while back and accidentally deleted all of them, I almost cried. :(

Cabrito

I come in Peace
This year we're going for something a little different -- planning to do the whole nine yards in a backcountry location in the Panamint Valley :chef:

Turkey and potatoes in a pit in the ground for a few hours, bread in a dutch oven, sides on more traditional field stoves/grills.

Should be fun, I can already taste it :sombrero:

Very Cool! Now that is outside cooking at it's best.

:chef:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Alton Brown is THE man. I had about 25 or 30 episodes on my DVR a while back and accidentally deleted all of them, I almost cried. :(
Always watching for him. I live in the same city as he does (Marietta GA). I shop about half the places that how up on the shows. The Deep fryer he bought for the one Turkey was from The Ace Hardware across the street from my neighborhood.

I have seen him out and about one time. Went for dinner at Outback Steaks and as we were going in we walked past two guys getting on Beemers. The one Guy already had his helmet on. The other guy looked failure and got a "he knows who I am" look on his face. I just smiled and walked by (kind of immune to the famous person hoopla from my job). It clicked a few seconds later that it was Dave Despain and Alton.

mmccurdy

Adventurer

Everything worked out great! Figured I'd post up some pics...

Turkey ready to be stuffed with aromatics and herbs for cooking:
web.jpg

Lined a pit with rocks, heated them up with a fire, in went the turkey and potatoes:
web.jpg

Meantime, did some crescent rolls in the dutch oven:
web.jpg

Green beans in a foil pocket with some garlic, oil, turned out awesome:
web.jpg

Unwrapping and carving the bird:
web.jpg

The spread:
web.jpg

The finished meal:
web.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
WOW! :Wow1:

You really meant it when you said "the whole nine yards". This year would have been prefect for me and my wife to do that because this has been an unusually warm fall, must be La Nina (we normally have at least a foot or more of snow by thanksgiving). What you did was awesome and it makes me, and probably a lot of other readers, jealous. Its amazing how someone could create such a feast way out in the woods off the grid and with no access to a 24x7 grocery store for last minute ingredients.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles