Inexpensive Lift

HillbillyGreen

I've got a 95 Ford F350 CrewCab. I just had new Maxxis Bighorn tires put on. Tire size is 255/85R16. I've had this truck for about 3.5 years and it's had this size tires on it the whole time. That's what was on it when I bought it.
I've never had any problems with it, but after the Bighorns were put on, I was just looking at the tires and noticed that with the tires turned, there is only about 3/4 of an inch clearance between the tire and the front bumper. I never noticed this before and like I said, I have never had any problems.
I obviously don't know that much about this kind of stuff and was hoping that you guys might have some suggestions aside from doing a full lift kit.
It's pretty much a farm truck. I get it in some rough spots every now and then. What can I do to inexpensively get a small lift?
How can I tell if the shocks are worn out? If the shocks are worn out, will new shocks lift it up any?
I would greatly appreciate any advice that yall might have to offer.
Thanks

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I'd just trim the offending bits of sheetmetal a bit to provide some clearance and call it good. Shocks are blown if you can firmly press on the front end, and it will keep bobbing up and down. If it stops after 2 or 3 cycles you're probably ok. New shocks won't provide any lift, and if you went with a suspension lift, you'd need to get longer shocks, brake lines, etc. I'd just trim the sheetmetal and be done with it.

Spence

leverett

Observer
i would put a leveling kit it will only lift the front 1.5 to 2 inches and may give you the clearence you want.

HillbillyGreen

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm not at all familiar with a leveling kit so I'll have to do some research, but I imagine that it would probably cost more than I need to spend. Any, is more than I need to spend after paying for those tires.
Grinding??? Now that is an awesome, common sense Idea. I think that this is the route that I will take. Like I said, I never had any problems but when I saw the clearance, it gave me some worries. I can't believe that I never noticed it before. Thanks again for the useful advice and quick response.

Travis

chasespeed

Explorer
Un do the bumper bolts, and get some longer ones

Install some spacers, to move it forward the amount you want.. .and call it good. Did this on a bronco... worked, and depending on how far forward, you wont even notice unless you get next to another F-Series truck....

Chase

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
You can buy the factory snow plow front spring kit directly from Ford or a spring shop, it's an add a leaf that sits on the bottom of the spring pack and will pick it up 1.5"-2" . Worn out shocks will move in and out quite easily but will not affect ride height. Your truck is old enough that the front springs are sagged and the extra leaf would probably be the best cheap option.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I agree with Spence, cut the bumper! If you do decide to lift it at all, do a shackle reversal.

w squared

Observer
From what you're saying, a suspension lift would not be a great solution to your problem.

The issue with suspension modifications is that "lift" and "cheap" usually only belong in the same sentence if you add the word "regret" :Wow1:

I'll try not to generalize too much here. Inexpensive suspension lifts often stay inexpensive by cutting corners on "extra" parts that do things like keep your axles centered, your steering from getting flighty, or your sway bar links from rubbing your tires.

I'm going to go with the majority on this one and suggest a small bumper trim. That is the mod that is going to be most cost efficient and is least likely to make your truck handle badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior