Attending my first SAR dog training as a guest, any suggestions?

alosix

Expedition Leader
I finally got in contact with our local CARDA branch in San Jose.

So far they don't seem to have any issues with me and the dog being 'green' to SAR work, but we'll see how things progress.

Just wondering if anyone has any hints for a first timer showing up at a training.

Thanks
Jason

alosix

Expedition Leader
Yup, the dog is coming as well. I asked them if they'd rather have just me the first time or me and the dog. They said bring the dog and a few things to keep her busy.

Jason

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
On a useful note, you might want to give her a lot of exercise just prior to attending. It might serve to keep her a little more settled and receptive to what's going on.

Let us know how it goes!

alosix

Expedition Leader
On a useful note, you might want to give her a lot of exercise just prior to attending. It might serve to keep her a little more settled and receptive to what's going on.

Let us know how it goes!

I should have, she was really wound up. Chewed her way through the Raingler nets in the back to the Jeep :).

Otherwise it went pretty good. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have brought the dog to the first one as its more for the person than the dog.

I'm on a small local SAR team and have worked with the CARDA folks here in the San Jose area, and over the years we've had several members of the team who were also active with CARDA.

The dogs are freaking amazing. Several years ago for a training exercise they followed a week-old track I'd walked in Grant Ranch (while it was drizzling and with the smell of skunk in the air) and the dogs had absolutely no trouble finding me.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I'm on a small local SAR team and have worked with the CARDA folks here in the San Jose area, and over the years we've had several members of the team who were also active with CARDA.

The dogs are freaking amazing. Several years ago for a training exercise they followed a week-old track I'd walked in Grant Ranch (while it was drizzling and with the smell of skunk in the air) and the dogs had absolutely no trouble finding me.

Are you on the mountain team or the Santa Clara Sar? I've been meaning to hit one of the Santa Clara county team meetings to see about joining. The website contacts haven't been all that response (but its been a while since I sent anything over that way)

Thanks
jason

I'm with DART, which is controlled by LGPD (or technically "Lost Gatos - Monte Sereno PD"). We're a small team with a limited response area, and we probably spend as much time helping with evidence searches and such as we do looking for lost people.

There's also SJSAR as well as county SAR. Both are busier than us. There used to be some weird politics too, so I've been relatively happy with our small town team. It doesn't eat up too much of my already-limited free time.

Not sure who the "mountain team" is in this area? Maybe us? :) Santa Cruz & Monterey counties have their own SAR groups (I think every bay area county does) and there's the hardcore/full-time team up on the peninsula...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles