Mountain Khaki Pants

Wander

Expedition Leader
Save some money and just buy Carhartts......the real "original mountain pant".
No one I know wears them(MKs) or can afford them.
I have to give them credit for a nice bit of marketing though, seems to have sucked some people in.

If you get a chance you should try MK's they are different than just Carhart copies-which are also great pants. I also can find MK's at about the same price as Carharts and if you extend your statement further you should get Dickies as they are made in the same Mexican factory as Carharts and are pretty much the same thing for 1/2 the price. I noticed a drop in Carhart quality when they stopped making everything in Michigan which happened about the same time you started seeing Carharts on campuses worn by frat dudes with F350 Super Duty 4x4 diesels and names like "Trip".

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I wear MK for many reasons (dang good pants), but mainly because they are AMERICAN MADE!!! You can't say that about many things these days!

Dendy

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Well, the last time I checked a map Cambodia was not part of America.

I have found this to be true also.

The MK marketing material tends to give the impression they're made in the US for some reason, though they never state it outright. The tags on the items tell a different story.

Up until recently Carhartt offered some items that were expressly "Union Made" in the USA. However, they have discontinued that line. From what I understand they still have a US factory and some of their stuff is made here, but it's no longer guaranteed.

If you want a pair of khaki's that are still made in the US (Reading, PA), check out Bill's. I don't know of any others, but I would love to hear about them if they exist.

Not a knock on MK, necessarily, I still intend to pick up a pair to try them out, just trying to put some good info out there on country of origin.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Graham loves his MKs, the only complaint I have is if we are going on a long trip and I might have to wash them by hand. They are really tough to wash by hand and take a while to line dry.

I realize this is not generally a consideration when choosing what pants to buy.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Graham loves his MKs, the only complaint I have is if we are going on a long trip and I might have to wash them by hand.

I thought that's what the Gatorade cooler on the rack was for...

M-121.jpg

Wander

Expedition Leader
Damn that's a sweet 110!

For those that haven't tried them, a big feature in comfort and function with MK's is the gusseted crotch panel (sorry for using the word crotch!). They move much better in the field like when you have to step over or up to something and they are much more comfortable in the drivers seat since they don't bind.

xtatik

Explorer
Graham loves his MKs, the only complaint I have is if we are going on a long trip and I might have to wash them by hand. They are really tough to wash by hand and take a while to line dry.

I realize this is not generally a consideration when choosing what pants to buy.

Actually, this is a huge consideration when choosing. Synthetics can be every bit as tough, are lighter, pack smaller, clean easier, and dry in a fraction of the time........which means they would also perform better in inclement weather.......cotton kills!

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
I thought that's what the Gatorade cooler on the rack was for...
True enough, but I'd like to be able to fit some other clothes in there too.:elkgrin:
For those that haven't tried them, a big feature in comfort and function with MK's is the gusseted crotch panel (sorry for using the word crotch!).
Somehow saying "the portion of the pant located at the top of the inseam" is a bit confusing.
Actually, this is a huge consideration when choosing. Synthetics can be every bit as tough, are lighter, pack smaller, clean easier, and dry in a fraction of the time........which means they would also perform better in inclement weather.......cotton kills!
Everybody's got their preferences, for my part I agree with you, I prefer synthetic for overland trips, and all of his other pants for travel are of the Exofficio etc. synthetic variety.

But you'll still find me in jeans most of the rest of the time.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor

Depends on what you mean by inclement weather. Cold, yes - cotton is bad. However, I much prefer cotton to synthetics in hot weather.

The MKs are good pants, but not perfect. I find the legs way too baggy for no functional reason, and they need more belt loops in the back.

Bugspray

Adventurer
Ohhhhh you guys actually wash your pants......when in the desert I just find some clean sand and rub vigorously then shake out well. The troops in WW2 in N. africa did this to "change the oil" on their trousers.

xtatik

Explorer
Depends on what you mean by inclement weather. Cold, yes - cotton is bad. However, I much prefer cotton to synthetics in hot weather.

The MKs are good pants, but not perfect. I find the legs way too baggy for no functional reason, and they need more belt loops in the back.

Not me, cold is one issue, wet is entirely another, and truly "cotton kills".
In warm weather, I just lighten up the color and pay attention to fit.
Also, packing was one of the points mentioned further up and, I guess if someone has the luxury of packing a complete and varied wardrobe.....goodonya'. The synth's seem to cover all points better in my opinion.
Maybe it's just me, but the MK's just kinda' put out an apres'-ski (or whatever other mountain activity) vibe. They're for donning and looking trendy after the real activity-wear is doffed.

Scott Brady

Founder

Ah, an interesting perspective. I think they are just right - for my legs.

I really love the little side pocket on the alpine pants, perfect for my knife. Everyone should carry a good knife.

Explorer

Oil finished cotton like what Filson makes is actually very good in inclement weather. Its totally wind and water proof. You also have wool that maintains 80% of its insulation when wet, and down that is very warm, light and packable.

Natural clothing is also very comfortable because it breaks in better than synthetics.

Synthetics are awesome for certain things also, but natural is not obsolete by any means. Most people just haven't forked over the investment to find out how truly great WELL crafted natural clothing is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne