SPOT Expands Coverage into Africa

Scott Brady

Founder
EXPANDED COVERAGE IN AFRICA
Wednesday, 25 November 2009 10:31
Adventure taking you to Africa? New Operating Gateway Provides Users of SPOT Satellite Messenger Products with Coverage in Nigeria, West and Central Africa and Surrounding Maritime Regions
SPOT customers will now benefit from reliable satellite coverage in Nigeria, the surrounding portions of Western and Central Africa and parts of coastal Atlantic and Gulf of Guinea maritime region. Distribution of the SPOT Satellite Messenger Products is expected to begin in Africa early next year.
coveragemap_nolegend.jpg

preacherman

Explorer
That's great. I hope they add East Africa sometime soon. I cannot figure out why their coverage in east Africa is so bad. If you have ever set in the airport in Nairobi you see 8 to 10 777's unload with tourists every evening. The amount of people traveling in Kenya at any given point is amazing but yet its one of the only areas they don't have coverage. It would be hard for me to imagine Kenya gets less tourists than Mali which has great coverage.

Prob has something to do with sat's but I would think it would be beneficial for them to add these heavily traveled east African countries to the coverage area.

rozordermit

That's great. I hope they add East Africa sometime soon. I cannot figure out why their coverage in east Africa is so bad. If you have ever set in the airport in Nairobi you see 8 to 10 777's unload with tourists every evening. The amount of people traveling in Kenya at any given point is amazing but yet its one of the only areas they don't have coverage. It would be hard for me to imagine Kenya gets less tourists than Mali which has great coverage.

Prob has something to do with sat's but I would think it would be beneficial for them to add these heavily traveled east African countries to the coverage area.

I will agree with you, but I have small doubt on this like will it happen?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thats a good start! I wonder what response times will be? "

hhheeehehehhheeehhooohohoohhhoooo

The responce time will be as fast as your mates can mobilise.............:safari-rig::roost::26_16_2:

Don't expect the Nigerian - African Police to come looking for some lost or broken down Muzungu.

There is basicly no Fire brigade-ambulance-search and rescue etc etc

The local missionary -priest or red cross is about as good as it gets.

You have more chance of help from a passing Toureg or desert dweller as they all understand the basic need of survival in the desert.

I'm alway's amazed here when we enduro through the dunes, if we are stopped and resting - some one comes over to say hi and checks we are alright....its just the desert thing- it might be you next time !

jcbrandon

Explorer
... if we are stopped and resting - some one comes over to say hi and checks we are alright....its just the desert thing- it might be you next time !

It is a desert thing. We do that here in the wilds of Nevada. Nice when it happens. Reminds you of the goodness of people.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Funny thing about the coverage map is that Spot sucks in Alaska and yet it shows that it works there. We had spotty coverage and then lost all contact for 4 days as we worked our way down river around a short, long hill. Don't get me wrong, i love mine and use it all the time here in the Lower 48.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles