recipe for turkey sausage?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
On our new diet, the wife and I have found that we can stand turkey breakfast sausage...

And the combination of leftover Thanksgiving turkey (mostly dark meat) and unemployment has given me the inspiration to try making my own.

Here's a simple recipe I found online:

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. Hickory Smoke Liquid
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. tarragon
1/4 tsp. thyme

Mix all ingredients well. (Do not add additional Hickory Smoke Liquid.) Form into small to medium patty sizes. Use spray Pam in frying pan for less calories. Fry until brown.

Source

Recommendations?

Not looking for anything exotic, just the standard 'jimmy dean' taste.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Well,

I tried my first batch, using a combination of a couple of recipes, and it tastes like sausage, but has the texture of granola...

Who'd a thought turkey dark meat would be so dry?

Any ideas on how I can add grease to a low-fat sausage mix?

I tried adding egg whites, which helps it hold together, but still not there.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Try adding some ground pork. You won't need much, but it will act as a binder for the turkey. We do this to most game we make breakfast sausage out off as we trim our meat to the very lean side. You'll have to experiment to get the right ratio to suit your tastes. If you want to stay on the leaner side start at 3 parts turkey to one part pork and adjust to your liking.

Also bacon grease makes a good binder, a little bit goes along way.

Then again you could do what my grandmother did and just go straight to ground lard, but those are old school lumberjack sausages where they weren't worth eating if you couldn't float a pancake in the leftover grease on your plate.

jatibb

Adventurer
ive been using "gimme lean" sausage. come in regular (meat) and sausage flavor. makes a pretty good sausage, especially on a breakfast sandwich. no meat, all plant protein. doesnt taste like soy......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94