Yakima tower and pad identification help.

Smksignals

Explorer
I bought a set of used Yakima bars, towers, and pads for my 94 Grand Cherokee and I think the pads and clips are wrong? I am pretty sure I can make them work for my trailer when I get a lid on it. But I was hoping to use them on the car until then. Anybody recognize the clips and pad in the pic, and what it might go to??? Thanks ...

ry%3D480

htchmn

Observer
The pad looks to be for an earlier style tower, I am on duty at the
Fire Dept today so I can't check the ones I have at home, but it looks
the same. I will look at mine tomorrow and let you know.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I bought a set of used Yakima bars, towers, and pads for my 94 Grand Cherokee and I think the pads and clips are wrong? I am pretty sure I can make them work for my trailer when I get a lid on it. But I was hoping to use them on the car until then. Anybody recognize the clips and pad in the pic, and what it might go to??? Thanks ...

ry%3D480

The tower is a control tower the pad appears to be a landing pad 1. There are about 16 different landing pads in the series to fit different apps but that looks like #1 which is the most common. They 2 interface together as a system. The landing pad 1 is used to interface with vehicles that have a flat track on the roof. However different landing pads were developed to fit other cars like the element the crv the pilot the jeep grand cherokee etc. You need to purchase landing pad 2 to install it on your grand cherokee.

Last edited:

bluedog

Adventurer
Those towers were for mounting into factory roof rails, as Nullifier said. Look at the bottom of the oval "landing Pad" in the upper left of your picture and see if it has the pad number on it. then look up the fit for your cherokee and see if it will work. I

To mount them on the trailer, all you will need to do is mount the small oval "landing Pad", in the upper left of your picture, on your roof some how. The tower will slide right on with the lever open, side the cross bar through and you are done.

B.

paulj

Expedition Leader
It doesn't look quite the same as the current Control Tower design. The current one has two pins that spread outward, latching into the landing pad.

But I agree that the pads are designed to work with a track on the vehicle. The oval 'washer' and 'H' one fit in the track.

With the Control Tower, you can switch cars by changing the 'landing pad'. I, for example, have pads that bolt to the factory hardpoints on the roof of my Element.

Smksignals

Explorer
Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it !!

Does anyone know where I can get the Landing Pad 2 for these older towers. I can take better pics of the towers if necessary...

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The tower is a control tower

Those are actually earlier generations. Those are Rail Riders. Finding the landing pad widgets for those will be a little tricky if they don't happen to fit your current factory tracks.

Regarding putting them on your vehicle outside of using the factory rails, you are outta luck.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Landingpad is Yakima's term for the part that works with the Control Tower. I find references on the web to Railrider1 and Railrider2, but not to separate vehicle adapters. Looks like you can buy the whole Railrider2 set on Ebay or dealers who have old stock, for around $50.

If you want to use the ones you have on your trailer lid, I'd suggest looking around for a compatible track that could be bolted to the lid. You might find such a track at a junkyard on a 1990s era GM van or suv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier