Cheap fix for an annoying problem...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I was going to post this in the Toyota forum but I figured it might have a broader application to other vehicles so I figured I'd post it here.

Here's the problem: I'm a nonsmoker, and like many non smokers, I keep pocket change in the ashtrays of my vehicles. On most vehicles, this isn't a problem, but on the 1st gen Tacomas (95-04) and the 3rd gen 4Runners (96-02) which share the same platform, the ashtray "hangs" from its springs, and the springs are clearly not strong enough to keep the ashtray closed when full of change. I don't regard this as a design flaw, because I'm clearly putting more in the ashtray than it was designed to hold.

2009_1126_132945AA.jpg

But on both my '04 Tacoma and my current 99 4runner, it is very annoying because every time I hit a bump, the ashtray falls open and, if it's full enough or the bump is harsh enough, change falls on the floor. I actually got to the point where, when I was driving off road, I'd just empty the thing and remove the ashtray altogether.

On my '04 Tacoma the spring was still relatively strong so this was only a problem off-road. But on my 4runner, 6 years older and with 45,000 more miles, it wouldn't even stay open on the street, which was very annoying because not only would it flop open, it rattled incessantly!

I tried to think of ways to "lash" the ashtray shut with velcro, but couldn't figure out a way to do it. Then I looked closely and realized that all I had to do was drill a couple of screws in, one on each side of the ashtray, leaving about 1/2" of the screw sticking out...

2009_1126_132954AA.jpg

...and then, stretch a couple of rubber bands between the screws!

2009_1126_133020AA.jpg

I've been driving it around like that for about 2 weeks and it works great! No off road or bumpy driving, though, but I expect it will work just as well.

Just wanted to share this with the folks. Obviously, some people might be reluctant to drill into their dashboard but I was pretty much at my wits end with this thing!

Kilroy

Adventurer
Nice, simple idea. If your planning on keeping it, may as well modify it to suit you. Once put holes in console of week old vehicle. Wife (former) thought I was nuts. Made the truck more useful to me for the entire time I owned it (years).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior