Cap or Hard tonneau?

chasespeed

Explorer
these days, I dont need much. The truck is pretty fast becoming a secondary transportation thing.....

I will have company van all the time, for tools, etc... and, the wife and I are looking into getting another bronco... we have 2 kids, and talking about another.... so... maybe something other than a BKO? The truck is a reg cab long bed... so, pretty useless for family stuff... so, with 2 people taking a trip, not much storage needed really... thats why I am asking...., and almost everything I have for camping, trips, etc, fits below the bed rails....

Chase

7wt

Expedition Leader
Chase, having just got rid of my fiberglass cap and having a tonneau (soft) before I would do the Phil or the Nuke thing in your shoes. I hated repeat for emphasis HATED the fiberglass cap both on and off road. The windows always fogged up, I couldn't see out of the back (hence the tree kiss) and it was a pain in the butt to load and carry stuff around. I got rid of it because I never ended up using it as I envisioned.

The soft tonneau was great but I couldn't lock it up and I always feared a somebody taking my junk. I have a tool box on order and one day I may have a bed cover like Phil's built but for now I am enjoying the open bed. For my needs, I should be set after the tool box gets here until something changes. Have you though about a large, deep tool box for lockable storage?

timh

Explorer
I have been dealing with the same issue on my Chevy. I want to get rid of my pop-up camper and get a tonneau or shell. If I do a shell I can just sleep in there. If I do a tonneau I have to build a rack over the bed to mount the RTT. Problem is my truck is used for so many different things that I just don't know what to do.

If only I could afford a Flip-pac, then all my problems would be solved:wings:

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I have a Unicover construction type topper on my 2000 F150 Extended cab, with dual rear doors and two side tool lockers for storage. It is hard to see out but very handy and I sleep in the back on a twin size matress. Here's the link to a close match: http://www.unicovercaps.com/truck-caps/doublecargodoors.html

I love the topper for the sleeping ability and cargo capacity in the side lockers for my gear, now if I could just mount a RTT onto the toppers ladder rack, then the truck bed would be storage/kitchen setup.

Pete Wilson
AIBR - Alliance of Independent Bigfoot Researchers
SWVA - Sasquatch Watch of Virginia

Last edited:

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Well, I'll chime in on this one. I have an ARE MX series cap on my truck and I love it. I've slept in the back of my truck several times, even thru some pretty harsh thunder storms. Comfy as can be. Well as comfy as you can be with high winds, blowing rain, lightening flashing and thunder clapping. lol

My set up is a metal rack I designed that, slides in and out of the back so I can store my gear below in boxes (I store everything in Rubbermaid Action Packers) and sleep on top. The bed is almost the size of a standard queen sized bed, and that is due to the foam mattress, there is room on the sides for storage of clothing etc. When I get home everything comes out to make the truck more useful for hauling other crap.

I have the small crank out vent windows and the drop down window in the front with a vent window in it as well. On all but the worst rainy nights I can open the drop down window, and if it's not raining I can open the crank out windows or prop open the back window a bit for a nice breeze. Also, I have experienced the leaky windows that most people complain about. But I have found that if I lub the window seals with some vaseline it keeps the seals in good shape and they seal up well. For security/privacy I've got covers that velcro over the window frames on the inside. These are home made, thanks mom!

I have also designed a nice rack that will go over the top of the cap so I can carry my kayak, ski's and other stuff up top. Similar to a ladder rack, just that its smaller and conforms to my shell. Just need to get back to work so I can afford to make it.

As far as removing my shell I've only done it once and my 73 year old dad and I did it without a problem. It only weighs 190 lbs. And, if I had to take it on and off more often I would get something like this set up. http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/pics/ratchet_hoist15_720.jpg

My shell has never moved on me, but my dad's has and we just drilled a hole thru the shell, and the bed rail of the truck. We dropped a bolt thru some washers we made for the top and the bottom and tightened them up. Hasn't moved since.

So, if your going to use your truck more for camping, IMO you can't beat a quality made shell. I've never used a bed cover but it just doesn't seem as useful to me. Ya still gotta remove it to haul large items. And, the idea of sleeping in a RTT in bad weather is barely above the idea of sleeping in a tent. And, sooner or later your gonna get stuck in bad weather, and I'd much rather be listening to the rain fall on the shell while resting peacefully rather than worrying about getting wet.

Sorry for the long winded response, and I hope this info helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior