C&O Towpath

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
If the stretch between Ohiopyle and Confluence is any indication of what the rest of the trail is like, I put a five-star rating on it! When my brother lived near that area, I flew up there for a visit. We drove to Ohiopyle, he brought his bike and I rented one in that town. It was a marvelous afternoon ride to and from Confluence. Note to self for future adventure: figure out a way to bike the entire distance from Pittsburgh to DC, with convenient stays at B&Bs along the way.

Links, if you aren't already started on it: 1 & 2 plus a good travel review that includes a nice slideshow & more web links.

My bro on his fold-in-half RV bike.
brobik.jpg

A nice river view along the way.
y riv.jpg

off.track

Adventurer
sweet, thanks. the other super link i've came across is this: http://bikewashington.org/canal/index.php

Pitt-DC=300mi... mmm.. ****tle may actually be easier for the whole distance as the train situation seems to be better between those two. The only thing that thus far has not excited me about the GAP is the severe lack of camping opportunities. C&O is set up perfectly though.

so, i am thinking 5 days, unsupported from Cumberland down to Gerogetown.. I'm also considering Starting at Frostburg. Most likely will side pedal via Antietam and Frt. Frederic and Harpers Ferry. This is superbly gorgeous area. I've been through Harpers Ferry a few times; wonderful area.

I'm thinking of finishing off with a day bike tour of DC monuments.

Let me know if you'rte up for it, maybe this next spring. :D :D

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
On a different visit with my brother, we checked out some of the C&O towpath below Cumberland. I believe I saw a brochure that showed the big number of campsites, some are accessible from nearby roads, others are strictly hiker/biker camps. Very impressive system.

Alas, I'll need sizable funding donations to finance a nice long vacation back east - send big checks to my Paypal account, friends.....

cando1.jpg

cando2.jpg

off.track

Adventurer
View along the Potomac from the confluence with Shenandoah at Harpers Ferry, WV. The towpath is there on the left under the cliff.
harpersferry1a.jpg

lock 33
img3107s.jpg

^^ is underneath V V
img3123n.jpg

off.track

Adventurer
you know, i am now staring to consider Ohiopyle area for a weekend trip.. maybe a long weekend.. i never realized when i was at the high point last time i was in the area how close this park is.. Fallingwater is near by and this has pooped up in a few conversations with friends lately.. definitely a ride to Confluence and back would be in the plans. this trip would also get me US 40 across PA.

so, if you have any other info on this area, please post up. thanks 77bc.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Now that you mention it, I could have noted that prior to our ride down & back on the GAP, we spent the morning at the nearby Kentuck Knob, one of Wright's other famous homes. Pic below of the area beyond the home. Being born & raised in the desert southwest, I'm always amazed by the trees and rivers of the northeast. Fallingwater is worth every penny of the tour as well, we saw that in my other visits back east, along with a long look at the Western Maryland Scenic RR.

knobvw.jpg

off.track

Adventurer
oh man, great links 77bc. the WMRR i am thinking of combining into the ride down the C&O. like first day take it out of Cumberland and then ride back down from Frostburg. it would only add 15mi to the whole thing and it would tie trains into this whole adventure. had no idea about kentuck knob..

nosivad_bor... when would be the best time to go? i am thinking this is super popular area so steer me in the direction of less people and i definitely prefer to avoid bugs and humid heat. :D

thanks guys. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles