Series III daily driver/short trips?

riverguide

Adventurer
I've lived in the big city and now that I'm living in a small mountain town of wyoming, I'm finding myself more and more wanting an older car that I don't necessarily need to be reliable on a consistant basis(though that wouldn't be a bad thing) being that my commute to work is less than a 2 mile round trip. Everything around town is close, easy walking distance or biking distance and I'm thinking that there isn't any better time to ditch the reliable and go for the adventure. My long trips are for fishing and those usually range no farther than 150 miles one way. I've got a few trips planned that would be closer to 300 miles one way. Those miles can add up and they could be quite strenuous on a vehicle with the age of a series but that is the least of my worries. To give an example, I've driven approx. 6k miles in almost 7months here, 4k I would contribute to town driving. Another 2k for fishing and exploration.

My first question is, do I ditch the Subaru as my nice daily and head up some adventure, not knowing what could be around the next turn with a good series? I've been looking around and probably wouldn't do much until spring time but I am putting quite a bit of thought into it.

Next question is, would any of you sell off your reliable daily in order to own and drive a series daily, considering these miles per day along with a few trips in between?

Am I crazy?

Thanks for your input. :coffeedrink:

Kyle

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
work is less than a 2 mile round trip

and you don't walk ride a bike ?

keep the subby

the series would be an adventure !

overlander

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't hesitate myself, but I'm a Land Rover lover. Just plan on refreshing the basics and learn to maintain it yourself.

You will probably want a station wagon though, and plan on an aftermarket heater if that's the route you are going. Remember that any series you get will likely not have any sound or thermal insulation, which will make for a chilly winter.

crusader

Adventurer
My SIII is my daily driver and has been for the last 6 years. Short trips, long trips, whatever. Most of the time, it's fun to drive, but there are also days where it is miserable, usually when it's raining outside (inside) or when it's ultra-hot outside. Not a bad thing, but it's also nice to have something "normal" in certain circumstances.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Contrary to what you've been led to believe, series trucks don't break down every 10 feet. They're actually very predictable as to what goes wrong on them, and that's mostly because they are quite old by now and most have been neglected. Any vehicle that is 30 to 50 years old is going to have issues.
If you want a series truck for the romance then don't get one, you're just kidding yourself.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Run away. Once LUCAS has you, you are screwed.

Other than that. Yes, you are crazy. Yes, it will be an adventure to own one. Like I Leak Oil said, they don't break down all the time. If they do, it's usually the carb gets fouled up (easy to fix) or the fuel pump stops (carry a $10 spare electric).

Mine is a DD 24 miles RT.

So what you are doing here still reading? Go buy one!:smiley_drive:

czenkov

Adventurer
I would like to get my Rover to DD status - it will get there BUT I am realistic and also have the trusty Tacoma - for those days it absolutely must start/run/drive. Like everyone has said - the Series requires regular maintenance and TLC. Mine has been quite the challenge so far, and any other vehicle probably would have been sold on, but as crazy as it sounds I love the old thing.

Keep the subby AND get the Series. Especially if vehicle challenges even come close to irritating you. I know me and if the Series would have been my only vehicle it would be gone by now - my boss doesn't want to hear about my "adventures" with a Rover - he just wants me at work on time.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
If you can't have both, keep the Subaru. The reason I say this is simply it's a more practical/reliable/sustainable car. Parts are generally easier to come by on short notice, and they require less maintenance to keep running correctly. The whole comfort issue is a big thing during the cold months.

I would save up for the Series by riding/walking to work during the summer and generally living frugally. This will help prepare you for Series ownership.

Having two vehicles, one for the hills and one for a reliable daily driver, is something nice. I learned this when my CJ was my daily driver/trail rig and I would have to scramble every Sunday to get it unloaded/repaired/cleaned for the work week. Made for some marathon wrenching sessions that didn't always make the cutoff. I could also start packing the rig days ahead, adjusting the gear for the trip planned. Like I said, it was nice.

The vehicle is not supposed to be the adventure. It's supposed to be the mode of transport through the adventure.

Wander

Expedition Leader
"The vehicle is not supposed to be the adventure. It's supposed to be the mode of transport through the adventure."

That is some good advice. I'm not a LR owner (yet) but I have been learning a lot around here lately. When you said you live in Jackson WY and I got over my jealousy I thought the (lack of) heater,insulation,weather sealing that I have heard about old LR's could prove troublesome in the winter as it get's cold there. I'm in NC so if-and when-I get an old series and it broke down in the winter I don't have much to worry about as it doesn't get that cold here. A good coat and hat will carry me through on the walk home or until someone comes to my rescue. If it's below freezing and blowing you might find yourself in real trouble. If you can't have both you might also consider something different, like an old Land Cruiser.

revor

Explorer
A block heater, a Kodiak heater and some insulation on the roof and behind the door cards goes a long way. My 110 is my DD and though it's a bit chilly in the AM in winter I still wouldn't trade.

Gore Ranger

Observer
An old Rover is a great choice for a mountain town where you are doing more occasional driving. I guess mine's old, a 1989 RRC, but not nearly as old as a series.

With that being said, it was miserable when that was my only mode of transportation for a about a year. The heating system is just not up to the task. The fan doesn't blow enough air and the vents aren't placed well.

My wife and I love cruising in the rover in the summer or on a nice day in the winter, but she drives an outback and me a WRX as dailies. For instance, yesterday, I got off work at 9pm, it's below 0 degrees, and the wrx is covered in ice and snow. Of course it starts right up, put the seat heaters on, it warms up quickly, and off I go. That would not happen in the Rover. My feet would be ice blocks by the time I got home.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I suppose an investment in Filson gear would help you through the winter, and if something does happen you can submit the story of how your Filson saved your life for their catalog!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles