'74 chevy 4x4 van???

CJT

I have a chance at getting a 1974 chevy van 4x4, old fire dept vehicle for cheap. would this be a worthy start for an expedition vehicle??

tommudd

Explorer
any other information regarding who did the conversion,
size of engine / transmission
how many miles,
condition

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I think it would be a great platform to start a project on. Old GM G-vans are great vehicles. If you don’t go after this rig PM me with the details as I may be interested. I assume the van is located in GJ area?

It most likely has a 350 engine, TH350 trans(maybe even a TH400 trans), NP205 transfercase with a Dana 44 front axle as most of the older 4x4 G- vans conversions where equipped this way.

On a 35 year old vehicle mileage is a mute point, as you might as well plan on a lot of parts replacement and updating. Adding an overdrive transmission and a modern fuel injected engine would be the first upgrades I would make.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
it will use all 3/4 ton calipers and brackets for the brakes..standard D44 knuckles and spindals...

if it has the BIG chrome lockouts you can get the knobs at jeffs bronco graveyard..and the rest of the parts from spicer (but usually they just need cleaned and yer good to go!!

the axleshaft outers are stock off the shelf parts..the inners will be custom lengths due to the pathfinder converstion and MIGHT be a driverside drop meaning they used a ford sourced transfer case (no worries..its probably a 208 or 203 those years..and they are boths SUPERBLY DURABLE!!)

should be a frame rig...no unibody (but I have been wrong before)..

build it...make her fresh with brakes n brakelines/bearings/gear fluid..and PIMP it!!

and all this coming from a DIE-HARD-FORD guy!!..chebys suk!!:bigbossHL:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
i

should be a frame rig...no unibody (but I have been wrong before)..

and all this coming from a DIE-HARD-FORD guy!!..chebys suk!!:bigbossHL:

I had a '76 GMC I bought new and drove for 32 years. These are unibody - GM didn't start putting a frame under their vans until the late '90s, I believe. Done properly, the conversion should be just as durable as body-on-frame. The miles I put on mine in all those years were primarily on dirt (not many paved roads here in central Nevada where I live) and the van held up just fine. When they do the conversions they add a frame section under the front of the van and that is what the springs (mine had leafs) and transfer case supports are attached to. Mine had the 400 small block/Turbo 350/NP203 drivetrain and it was a good if not particularly economical combination (never got better than ~ 12 mpg).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94