Headache Rack?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Has anyone built or bought one for their truck? I am going to build one and I'm wondering what you guys have done?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Just how many headaches you plan on carrying around?

Haha...No I'm talking about a cab protector. I'm designing one out of 2" box and expanded metal. I'm also looking at putting some LED work lights in it.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I had one on my 99 Power Stroke. Made by ProTech. I loved it, of course I was hauling lots of hay at the time and put it to work regularly. You can't tell by the picture, but the diamond plate portion had a channel that sat on top of the front bed rail of the bed to provide a more secure mount. A very clean set up.

http://www.protech.net/product.php?product_id=92

It wouldn't be hard to design that mount into your current project.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Hi Big Al, check this out. We built a headache rack/roof rack that bolts to the frame and encapsulates the box floor in structural ares as well. They were designed to take a roll too. This was a field test where we threw this truck as well as trucks from our competitors down a 120' cliff. The first pic is the truck prior to the first fling, the third pic is after 4 rolls and landing on the roof, very little cab damage, the second pic is after a total of 15 rolls, we had to photograph it upside down because of the area that it landed in, we had to pull it up a 120' bank upside down and the cab was still very intact at that point. I'm building one for my own truck due to the need for more storage space and I've been upside down more than once! They have light tabs and accessory mounts front and rear too.

Attachments

• Dodge 1.JPG
    Dodge 1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Dodge 2.JPG
    Dodge 2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Dodge 3.JPG
    Dodge 3.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Jeep

You can use it for heli extraction too!

Attachments

• Hanging Dodge.JPG
    Hanging Dodge.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 76

Jeep

let's see the photos of the other trucks too.

The other trucks catastophically failed, they were approved by other methods which did not involve any real world testing and I won't disclose the details as it could potentially be construed as "damaging".

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the ideas:drool:

I didn't go quite that extreme. I'm out of stargon so I'll post my progress so far.

This is .120 wall box. It attaches though the stake pockets with j-bolts. The notch in the top bar is do you can see the brake light. I will be putting in 6" oval recessed wroklights in the top bar. I am also adding a cross bar in the middle, then covering it all will expanded metal. I will leave a window in the center so it is easier to see from the rear view mirror.

Here are some cell phone pics. let me know what you think

Attachments

• Photo_12.jpg
    Photo_12.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Photo_1.jpg
    Photo_1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That looks pretty damn good Al!

Did you make it tall enough to throw the canoe on top without hitting the truck cab? And are you going to build a rear rack to supplement the front one?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
That looks pretty damn good Al!

Did you make it tall enough to throw the canoe on top without hitting the truck cab? And are you going to build a rear rack to supplement the front one?

The top bar is 2" higher than the cab, so I should be good with canoes, kayaks and medievil catapolts.:bike_rider: Truthfully I didn't try the canoe, if it is not high enough I can make the rear bar slightly lower, to keep the nose off the roof. The rack for the back will be easlily removable, likely just and "H"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online