Maggiolina Reflective winter hood

spressomon

Expedition Leader
As Mike stated the memory foam is not good below about 60 degrees F or so. We tried one and spent one of the worst nights ever trying to sleep on that cold hard brick.

We had a local custom mattress maker, Mike at Reno Mattress, make us a real mattress (sorry Mike S. ;) ) that was about an inch or so taller and WAY more comfortable than the 'too hard for me' stock foam slab.

And like Mike we used a down comforter along with a fiberfill mattress pad that was darn near more comfortable than my mattress at home!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm using a 1" memory foam topper, along with a fairly thick queen-size sleeping bag, and don't have much trouble closing the top even with pillows on top of all of that. The only thing I found is that I have to move the pillows to the center of the bed so that it's located under the highest portion of the roof. No big deal really. I haven't had a problem with the foam mattress being too hard in the cold. I don't know if it's because we like a firm mattress, or maybe different foams... mine is a real cheap one from Walmart. And we used it when it was close to freezing outside, no problem.

skysix

Adventurer
Replaced pad with a queen sized air mattress and a Costco 2" foam topper. there is a 6 or 7" wide gap either side between the mattress and side - alows cothes and camp slippers to not take up bed space. We use down kingsized quilts (avoids cold draft between us). When deflated, mattress/topper/quilts/pillows etc all fit in and closes normally. No problems down to 30F so far (other than getting motivated to get out of bed!)

wardrow

Adventurer
Replaced pad with a queen sized air mattress and a Costco 2" foam topper. there is a 6 or 7" wide gap either side between the mattress and side - alows cothes and camp slippers to not take up bed space. We use down kingsized quilts (avoids cold draft between us). When deflated, mattress/topper/quilts/pillows etc all fit in and closes normally. No problems down to 30F so far (other than getting motivated to get out of bed!)

What size maggy? Large? Do you notice any cold coming up from the bottom of the mattress compared to the autohome mattress?

skysix

Adventurer
Not a maggy, an overcamp medium.

No cold issues but top of mattress is 7" above floor

Foam on top of an air mattress is essential - otherwise body heat will raise temp of mattress rubber (and air in contact with it) at the top of the mattress, then convection currents will circulate it within the bladder. End result is you donate body heat to the environment. Foam (closed cell) prevents this. Open cell will also work but needs to be thicker.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
Bump for the length of the maggiolina grand tour medium winter hood....

I suspect I have the XL medium and not the true medium.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
Factory running a minimum crew until next week. Will investigate this question.

Thanks Mike. I work with several Italian companies in my day job and figure like me they're taking some time off too. I'll wait for their reply to our inquiry. I was just hoping that someone here would have some measurements we could use in the mean time. My birthday is in a week and we want to head to the coast for some camping and fishing. I would like to try out the winter hood but I think we'll run out of time. So one more cold trip without the benifit of the hood.

I'll also post up another thread detailing the bedding we use in our Maggiolina. For starters we use the standard mattress because it's the best solution for the tent. But we also use a 2 inch wool topper because of the moisture benifits of wool etc. We also have a variety of sheets and blankets and latex pillows and wool duvet that make for a very comfortable nights sleep. However we did spend around 2k for the bedding so it's not the most economical route to take but it sure is nice. IIRC all the sizes were for US twin and double beds. I'll get the receipts and document everything in a new thread.

saburai

Explorer
Thanks Mike. I work with several Italian companies in my day job and figure like me they're taking some time off too. I'll wait for their reply to our inquiry. I was just hoping that someone here would have some measurements we could use in the mean time. My birthday is in a week and we want to head to the coast for some camping and fishing. I would like to try out the winter hood but I think we'll run out of time. So one more cold trip without the benifit of the hood.

I'll also post up another thread detailing the bedding we use in our Maggiolina. For starters we use the standard mattress because it's the best solution for the tent. But we also use a 2 inch wool topper because of the moisture benifits of wool etc. We also have a variety of sheets and blankets and latex pillows and wool duvet that make for a very comfortable nights sleep. However we did spend around 2k for the bedding so it's not the most economical route to take but it sure is nice. IIRC all the sizes were for US twin and double beds. I'll get the receipts and document everything in a new thread.

Looking forward to your post on bedding!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA

Take the Winter Hood with you and use it. If it is not right, I'll take it back and fix the problem. No worries.

I will wait for your post on bedding, and add my $.02 worth.

Have a good trip.

kilimats

Observer
IMO this piece of equipment is a must in cold weather even with no winds

We were out in the mountains in our Maggiolina Airtop (about 0 degrees during the night) and we always felt a breeze of cold air coming through the fabric, not too annoying when your head is buried inside your sleeping bag but still. Also the inside of the tent barely heated up after an hour or two, our two adult body wasn't enough to fight against the cold.

If there is a solution that cost $200 ish like that winter hood, i'm ALL for it !!!

I will order mine this month and probably post some picture review here since no one has done that yet has far as i've seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94