expedition film trucks

expo80

Adventurer
Hey guys and galls figured that I would post up a build on one of the trucks I am outfitting for a friends film company. During the long winter I will be tearing into this truck getting it ready for a long summer of being a pack mule:smiley_drive:

The vehicle: 1996 LX 450 (fzj80) equipt with factory front and rear locking axles

build list for now....
ARB front bumper
Safari snorkel
Slee ac dryer skid
Slee differential locker skid
FOR 4" lift
factory hand throttle
CDL switch and 7 pin mod
IPOR transmission/transfer case skid
Bud Built HD tierod and drag links
4.88 gears with solid spacers, fully rebuilt diffs
front and rear axle full rebuilds
LT Maf
LT HD sway bar links front and rear
LT gen 2 caster plates
Modified Tacoma DC shaft for the front axle
Blue fan clutch mod
custom 1/4 wall DOM lower control arms
Extreme outback compressor
IBS dual battery system
12K mile marker hydraulic winch with MP XD syn line and remote control
Hi-Lift 60" jack
Hawk break Pads and DBA rotors
poly performance HD rear axle shafts
4X4 labs rear bumper
Metal tech sliders
35" tires
IPF lights
turbo system
CB, Ham, cell amp, CB amp, SAT phone and Lowrance nav

I'm sure there will be more to come:ylsmoke: As it is right now I am waiting for everything to come in, should be about a week or so before I start
lots of pics to come

Last edited:

gfiero

Adventurer
If this is for just one season use can I put my name in for when they sell it off? Your list reads like my wish list, even with an 80 to begin the dream. so the least I can do is subscribe and keep the dream alive...

Thanks for the winter reading.

sami

Explorer
Looking forward to watching the progress.. Can you elaborate on the areas they will be traveling to?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Cool build for sure. What's the trucks intended use? Seems like a ton of drive train beef up and big tires for an expedition sort truck.

expo80

Adventurer
update..
truck is now at the body shop to have the factory rood rack removed, holes patched and roof repainted.

I have been getting delivery's every day this is what i have so far...

super simple dual battery system and there is even a cruiser on the box, awesome
PC150066_800x600.jpg

i love simple wiring systems :)
PC150068_800x600.jpg

recovery gear
PC150069_800x600.jpg

PC150073_800x600.jpg

PC150081_800x600.jpg

on board air
PC150082_800x600.jpg

skids
PC150064_800x600.jpg

still waiting on a ton more things to come in, it should all be here in a week for when i get the truck back from the body shop.

Last edited:

expo80

Adventurer
ARB bumper came in today...damaged :mad: box was fine but the drivers side wing was pushed in a good inch.
ARB tech said it happens all the time when they unload the pallets off the truck
hers an idea...PACK THEM BETTER. A company this big should have there crap together and not be shipping out heavily damaged parts. this is not the first time this has happened to me with ARB products.

this screws me big time, they asked if i could high lift the corner back to normal, not really an option this is a big money build and the steel has already been weakened. I have a lot of things to install on this bumper so i have to wait for another one to come in

sorry I just need to vent this is a major pain in the rear

side note, ARB seem to be very helpful resolving these issues, im not bashing just frustrated

Last edited:

UCBerzerkeley

Observer
one more time, where again will this guy be seeing use and what is the intended purpose? they must have a very large film budget!

JayGannon

Adventurer
Not really, I am assuming that this is going to be a mobile production truck so putting 30/40k into that is a small expense for a company on contract.

expo80

Adventurer
one more time, where again will this guy be seeing use and what is the intended purpose? they must have a very large film budget!

All that i know is that there are 3 truck we are building, 2 are set up for personal/ company use and the other is just company use. Ideally we would like to start filming an off-road show in the spring/summer but with the amount of projects going on it might now happen till 2011

Trucks ill be in the show as well as carry a small crew

One of the reasons why these 80's are being armored so much is that they need to be able to go on trail runs and follow built up vehicles, they are specked out to run the Rubicon with minimal to no damage (wink..wink)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles