Expected Mileage From a 2001 Tacoma...

William

Observer
What kind of mileage can you expect to get from a 2001 Tacoma? Expecting that oil is changed regularly and all maintenance is done properly?

Thanks. :smiley_drive:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
It will depend on a number of factors, and some searching here and on the TTORA forum will yield some real-world numbers from owners using various configurations. With stock, ornear-stock gearing ratios (in other words, gears adjusted to tire size) and stock weight/lightweight (GVW), you might get as good as 19-20 mpg and average 17-18. With medium weight, anywhere from 16-19, and with a heavy configuration it can range from around 13 all the way up to 18mpg depending on driving conditions. My truck (mid-5Ks weight range) averages anywhere from 15 to 18mpg (32" tires, 4:10 stock gears and manual trans).

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I have heard of few engines going out before around 225k unless not properly maintained. Transmissions rarely see over 300,000 miles. My neighbor had a friend over a couple weeks ago who just ticked over 1,000,000 miles... 3rd transmission, original engine.

These are just observed results from what I have seen and heard. I don't have any statistics or anything.

William

Observer
I ask because a Double Cab Tacoma fits the bill for the needs of my family right now. I've found one with 167k miles, and another with only 86k miles... These are starting to sound like high mileage vehicles to me...

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I ask because a Double Cab Tacoma fits the bill for the needs of my family right now. I've found one with 167k miles, and another with only 86k miles... These are starting to sound like high mileage vehicles to me...

Toyota engines are sleeved... meaning they are built to be rebuilt. I like to equate these trucks to the Fireflies from the series... "with a decent mechanic, she will be with you 'til the day you die."

Take care of the truck, and you will get a long life out of it. It will need a little TLC from time to time, but probably alot less than most vehicles. These trucks can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Stout little trucks. I think you will be pleased with one.

William

Observer
Toyota engines are sleeved... meaning they are built to be rebuilt. I like to equate these trucks to the Fireflies from the series... "with a decent mechanic, she will be with you 'til the day you die."

Take care of the truck, and you will get a long life out of it. It will need a little TLC from time to time, but probably alot less than most vehicles. These trucks can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Stout little trucks. I think you will be pleased with one.

Any sour spots to look for that are unique to a Taco of this particular generation?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I've heard of plenty with over 300k miles (even with original transmissions). A dealership said that they see a few with 500k miles coming in for service. These are great trucks. I have 128k miles on mine and have had zero problems.

Things to look for:

1- Timing belt supposed to be replaced at 90k miles (although I have 128k on mine and have not done it yet. Will do it at 150k or when the water pump goes. These are non-interference engines, FYI).

2- Rear seal. Look under and see if you see signs of massive oil leaks.

3- Frame rust. Toyota has extended the frame warranty to 15 years. So you're covered even if it is rusted. They will replace the frame and other doo dads.

4- If it's a TRD, make sure the locker works (and that it's there. Some put just a TRD sticker on a non-TRD model).

I'm probably forgetting a few things. Good luck on the purchase.

Oh, and I'd opt for the lower mileage truck. I know it's a Toyota, but general rule of thumb, get the lowest/newest car that you can afford.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I've heard of plenty with over 300k miles (even with original transmissions). A dealership said that they see a few with 500k miles coming in for service. These are great trucks. I have 128k miles on mine and have had zero problems.

Things to look for:

1- Timing belt supposed to be replaced at 90k miles (although I have 128k on mine and have not done it yet. Will do it at 150k or when the water pump goes. These are non-interference engines, FYI).

2- Rear seal. Look under and see if you see signs of massive oil leaks.

3- Frame rust. Toyota has extended the frame warranty to 15 years. So you're covered even if it is rusted. They will replace the frame and other doo dads.

4- If it's a TRD, make sure the locker works (and that it's there. Some put just a TRD sticker on a non-TRD model).

I'm probably forgetting a few things. Good luck on the purchase.

Oh, and I'd opt for the lower mileage truck. I know it's a Toyota, but general rule of thumb, get the lowest/newest car that you can afford.

Pretty much just said what I was going to say.

Another possible issue is frame strength in the front. I see alot of the more trail queen rigs with the frame reinforced. My guess is it would not be an issue unless you were jumping or rock crawling every day. I have never seen one break, all I have seen is the reinforcing sheets welded on...

William

Observer
Thanks so much for all the postive and constructive replies. I'll post up with my new aquisition when I get it.

Cheers,
-W.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We had an 01 TRD dbl cab with 3' lift and 33s with stock gearing. Bull bar and cap as extra weight. I would say an average of 18-20 mpg is about right. We owned it for seven years and all it ever needed was brake pads. They are great trucks. We would have kept ours forever, but we have been travelling for a while now and had nowhere to store it. Good luck!

dustboy

Explorer

2.7L 4-banger is a timing chain, Toyota gives no service interval for it as it is a "lifetime part". Whatever that means.

Check the cast-iron header(s), mine cracked around 90k. Otherwise, 150k with no problems to speak of.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
My truck is a 2000 Tacoma ExtraCab, Supercharged 3.4L 5VZ-FE, 32" tires, F&R Armored Bumpers (winch), Sliders, Skids.

...long story, short - my truck is pretty heavy.

I typically get around 18 mpg highway.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
2.7L 4-banger is a timing chain, Toyota gives no service interval for it as it is a "lifetime part". Whatever that means.

Check the cast-iron header(s), mine cracked around 90k. Otherwise, 150k with no problems to speak of.

Double cabs are all 3.4L V6's. Also Exh manifolds are not a concern with V6's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier