Campervan from uK/japan

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This is an area where the Canadians 15-year importation requirement offers a considerable advantage. There are a number of Canadian dealers that import eighties and nineties Japanese vehicles, and several Japanese firms well-versed at importing into Canada. Given that anything 1995 or older would work, getting a Hi-Ace based camper into Canada would be pretty sensible.

There's four or five interesting Japanese campers on this page:

http://www.japanautodirect.com/stock.cfm?make=1

and it's interesting to go to the pictures of each to see what they cram into a small space. (And, of relevance to the general audience, there are also lots of assorted older FJs to covet.)

haven

Expedition Leader
Toyota HiAce camper van conversions are popular rentals in New Zealand. With a quick search, I saw several for sale for less than $15K USD.

The OP is correct -- the HiAce chassis is sold all around the world, so finding parts and mechanics who are familiar with the vehicle should be easier than many camper choices. (Ford Econoline, I'm looking at you!)

Goana

I've been looking at the Hiace here in Australia and was wondering why I haven't heard you guys mention them before. Now I know.

Christian, how much of you trip in Africa would you have miss had you been in a Hiace (2wd) vs your Troppy?

We are looking and considering all the options at the moment and I have to admit it's doing my head in a little. Buy here, ship. Keep and ship what we have. Sell what we have here Buy in South Africa........I am completly confused.

Glad to see the Hiace gets the thumbs up. This might be our answer.

Forgot to mention that we are moving from Melbourne Australia to Montreal Canada and are thinking of driving it slooooooooowly :)

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I've been looking at the Hiace here in Australia and was wondering why I haven't heard you guys mention them before. Now I know.

Christian, how much of you trip in Africa would you have miss had you been in a Hiace (2wd) vs your Troppy?

We are looking and considering all the options at the moment and I have to admit it's doing my head in a little. Buy here, ship. Keep and ship what we have. Sell what we have here Buy in South Africa........I am completly confused.

Glad to see the Hiace gets the thumbs up. This might be our answer.

Forgot to mention that we are moving from Melbourne Australia to Montreal Canada and are thinking of driving it slooooooooowly :)

I don't think you would miss out much in a Hiace. There are a few game parks where you do need 4WD but for these you can always join a tour. Some roads are pretty bad so you would just need to drive slower. Sand could be the biggest problem. If you could find a AWD like the use for the Sani Pass you would be totally fine. I actually saw several AWD too.

They actually use them (2WD) in the Masai Mara national park - which is connected to the Serengati. It is funny because on the Tanzania side, they mostly use Land Cruiser TroopCarrier but on the Kenya side, they use a lot of white Toyota Hi-Ace with a opening pop-top on the roof. And the roads are equally bad on either side.

I am also not sure why the Hiace is not a more popular choice. They really are everywhere - pretty much every minibus is a Hiace, from South Africa to Sudan. And they are fast too, even loaded with 10-15 people they were passing me on the hills. It made me crazy.

And they get great gas mileage. I would not hesitate to take one there.

Last edited:

Goana

If you could find a AWD

Just did a quick search and saw that there is a Hiace 4wd 3.0L Turbo Diesel. Is that what you are talking about because from what I read it's more what I would call a softroader/AWD. They compare it to a Rav4.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Just did a quick search and saw that there is a Hiace 4wd 3.0L Turbo Diesel. Is that what you are talking about because from what I read it's more what I would call a softroader/AWD. They compare it to a Rav4.

Yes that is the one. I don't know anything about what type of drivetrain they use. I know it's not as strong as the Land Cruiser but it should be sufficient. They do have free lock for the front axles which might me think that they may be stronger than a Rav4.

here's a perfect example :

http://jp107490407.trustpass.alibab...agon_camping_G_4WD_2003_Right_hand_drive.html

Attachments

• Hiace_in_Siberia.jpg
    Hiace_in_Siberia.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 1993 LH107G 100k.jpg
    1993 LH107G 100k.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Used_cars_TOYOTA_Hiace_Wagon_camping_G_4WD_2003_Right_hand_drive.jpg
    Used_cars_TOYOTA_Hiace_Wagon_camping_G_4WD_2003_Right_hand_drive.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 23

Riptide

Explorer
(And, of relevance to the general audience, there are also lots of assorted older FJs to covet.)

Boy, you're not kidding, Mike. That white 1980 40 series pickup, with those slick doors on the back of the cab, is just too cool...

http://www.japanautodirect.com/auto.specsheet.cfm?id=4792

Makes ya want to cry (although it did mention something about US customers...)

And those little campers offer a refreshing layout. I wonder how popular they would be here?

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I used to surf the yotavan and toyotavanpeople forums but they seemed to crash a lot (the sites, not the vans). Not so active but some good info nonetheless. Probably up and running now. Otherwise, look to JayFarsang for Mitsubishi Delica van info. He may even be able to give a good comparison between the Yotovan and the Mitsu. Very knowledgeable guy.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17652

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles