Can you use 20 lb BBQ cylinders on their side?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The pressure in the tank forces a phase change. Normally you're drawing off the gas, but storing the liquid for it's smaller volume. Some instances, like the diy turbine engines made from turbochargers (search propane powered beer cooler), turn the bottle upside down to draw off liquid.

No idea what the liquid line is in a 'full' tank, but I'm guessing that you're looking at liquid.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Some instances, like the diy turbine engines made from turbochargers (search propane powered beer cooler), turn the bottle upside down to draw off liquid.

I saw that thing! It was great. Cooled the beer in a ridiculously small amount of time.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i think you just need to get a special type of valve,,, between the tank and whatever you are using it for. i dont know what exactly, or where you'd best look for one,, but ive seen them and i'd hazzerd a guess they simply separate the liquid into gas.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Can't be done safely with the 20 lb vertical BBQ tank. You'll get liquid propane rather than vapor, and no good will come of that. The cylinders really shouldn't even stored or transported that way. The tank's relief valve has to be in contact with the vapor space, and if the tank is more than half full of liquid, that won't happen.

That said, though, they do make horizonal 20 pound cylinders that have pretty much the same form factor as the barbeque tanks. There's an example here:

http://www.protanksupply.com/camping-propane-tanks_detail.asp?ID=1007

and they are widely available though, being generally made of aluminum, they cost close to ten times what Home Depot wants for the standard steel tank.

peekay

Adventurer
Can't be done safely with the 20 lb vertical BBQ tank. You'll get liquid propane rather than vapor, and no good will come of that. The cylinders really shouldn't even stored or transported that way. The tank's relief valve has to be in contact with the vapor space, and if the tank is more than half full of liquid, that won't happen.

That said, though, they do make horizonal 20 pound cylinders that have pretty much the same form factor as the barbeque tanks. There's an example here:

http://www.protanksupply.com/camping-propane-tanks_detail.asp?ID=1007

and they are widely available though, being generally made of aluminum, they cost close to ten times what Home Depot wants for the standard steel tank.
funny, I had a travel trailer with side mounted 20lb tanks. The tanks look exactly like the ones in your pic except it was regular steel. It didn't look any different than a normal tank except that it had feet on the side in order for it to lie down. I'd wager it doesn't cost that much more than a regular tank, certainly not 10x's more like the aluminum tank.

UNI

Adventurer
Horizontal Propane Tanks (Aluminum or Steel)

Here is a company that not only sells the tanks but manufacturers them.
Click Here: Manchester Tanks

Note: Once on the index page click on to DOT Tanks & Cylinders Catalog.
The catalog will give you all the spec's. (Capacity and Dimensions)

Hope this helps,
Alan

njtaco

Explorer
20# horizontal tanks for $74 plus shipping...

http://www.uscarb.com/horizontal.htm

Company is located in West Virginia, I just stumbled upon them on the 'net.

I'm not sure how to load this image without hot linking, but I'll try...

cyl-20-svh.JPG

Last edited:

skip44

Observer
A standard 20 lb grill tank should never be on it's side for use or transport for all of the above reasons. In addition they are equipped with an OPD (overfill protection device) that shuts the fill off at the legal 80%. This is basically a float valve that can be damaged or jammed if the tank is on it's side. Any fill station will have a detailed explanation in the fine print somewhere.

robert

Expedition Leader
Short answer- yes and no. Yes, you can use an older tank on it's side- once. It will blow liquid propane up the line and you'll have a bad day. Newer tanks have the OPD in them and they shut off when they get tipped. It looks kinda like the float assembly in the back of your toilet and is designed to shut off the flow before you get the liquid propane which causes the bad day.

Use a tank designed for horizontal mounting and you will be fine. They're expensive, but far less than getting burned. Be aware that some states will fine you for having an inappropriate tank and many places won't fill them. Be safe!

Michael Slade

Untitled
This 2.5 gallon tank worked pretty well on it's side the other day thawing out my engine block.

It did tend to flame up a bit but it ran and ran and ran and ran.

thawingoutengineblock.jpg

njtaco

Explorer
Newer tanks have the OPD in them and they shut off when they get tipped. It looks kinda like the float assembly in the back of your toilet and is designed to shut off the flow before you get the liquid propane which causes the bad day.

I used to think this too...but the OPD only affects filling, not dispensing LP. You can run with the tank upside down if you want and the OPD will not bother you. The liquid propane will though...

The only safe way IMHO is to get the proper tank for the job, like has been linked to above.

njtaco

Explorer
This 2.5 gallon tank worked pretty well on it's side the other day thawing out my engine block.

It did tend to flame up a bit but it ran and ran and ran and ran.

thawingoutengineblock.jpg

LOL! I'd wager it would have worked better if it was burning vapor instead of liquid, yes? :elkgrin:

Still, Michael illustrates well that you can get away with a lot, but it doesn't make it right!

(Mr. Slade, I'd have done the same thing if I had to...no insult intended. :) )

UNI

Adventurer
Horizontal Propane Tanks (Aluminum or Steel)

We use Manchester Aluminum tanks and as I said in a earlier post, they manufacturer tanks to be used in the horizontal mounting position (With legs). These tanks must be filled in the vertical position and can be transported in either the vertical or the horizontal position. But must be used in the horizontal position, the float unit inside the tank has been designed to work in the horizontal position only.

Manchester Tanks
Product Number# 10487TC 20# Steel Tank RV Tank
Product Number# 9061TC.1 20# Aluminum Marine/RV Tank

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
I used to think this too...but the OPD only affects filling, not dispensing LP. You can run with the tank upside down if you want and the OPD will not bother you. The liquid propane will though...

The only safe way IMHO is to get the proper tank for the job, like has been linked to above.

Hmm, seems I was told wrong by the guy at the Uhaul (not overly surprising actually- the guy is an old hippie and knows how to fill the tank on my Westy though). Learn something new every day. I have to admit I was wondering how those 1# refilling adapters would work if they wouldn't flow.

http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94