TEMS Paramedic

OneTime

Adventurer
I do have to say that with the right mindset, going above and beyond your scope will help improve your skills. That being said, you still need the experience to actually operate in such fields.

As a fairly new medic, I was having some trouble intubating. There happened to be an opening in a US&R medic class that my department was giving. I was (and am) in a different section of US&R but was asked to attend to fill the spot. Boy, did I learn a ton about skills and improve my confidence. I didn't miss one tube after that. Ever. We tubed in confined spaces while laying on top of the patient face to face. We tubed while lying on a simulated roof and sticking our heads through a 12"x12" hole to the patient below. You get the point.

Oh, and doing central lines helped my IV skills a ton, too. I'll never do a central line, but it was still great knowledge.

I agree. Thats the point I made early in the thread. Getting the training alone is a good thing. Even if you dont become a TEMS medic for quite some time, the training and "learning" is valuable.

Plus hey, you may get to put rounds down range, which is always a good thing.

soldiermd

You mean 18D (SF Medic)

M1 represents the Ranger medic course. It's equivalent to a Paramedic on the civilian side, where the SF is more towards a Physician level. The M1 is just a extra MOS indentifier. 68W= reg medic(EMT-B), 68W M1= Spec Ops Medic (EMT-P) -Ranger Medic.

Sory, I stand corrected. Should be W1, not M1. 68W W1

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

M1 represents the Ranger medic course. It's equivalent to a Paramedic on the civilian side, where the SF is more towards a Physician level. The M1 is just a extra MOS indentifier. 68W= reg medic(EMT-B), 68W M1= Spec Ops Medic (EMT-P) -Ranger Medic.

Thanks for the info, I don't get any of that cool stuff. I am trying to get M6 when I get back state side... but the Florida Guard has hardly any slots.

soldiermd

Thanks for the info, I don't get any of that cool stuff. I am trying to get M6 when I get back state side... but the Florida Guard has hardly any slots.

Don't want to sound like I'm trying to recruit, but if you're seriously thinking of advancing your medical training thru the military, I'd suggest switching to the Reserves. We get funded by the Federal Goverment which equals more money for training and more slots. The Guard depends on the state budget for training and equipment.

D

Deleted member 9101

Don't want to sound like I'm trying to recruit, but if you're seriously thinking of advancing your medical training thru the military, I'd suggest switching to the Reserves. We get funded by the Federal Goverment which equals more money for training and more slots. The Guard depends on the state budget for training and equipment.

Yeah, but all of our equipment is new, they just gave me 15K to reenlist, and the college deals are sweeeeeet for prior active duty. Florida is one of the rare states that funds the ever loving crap out of its Guard, since we respond yearly to natural disasters.

jh504

Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have looked at the military option many, many times. It is still an option for me and something I continue to consider.

I am not talking about becoming a full-time tactical medic for EMS this year. I am simply talking about going through the TEMS class. Just wanted to clarify that. I dont see how it could hurt my skills as a paramedic in any way. Everyone has given great advice, even though I still havnt heard much about the TEMS course specifically.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have looked at the military option many, many times. It is still an option for me and something I continue to consider.

I am not talking about becoming a full-time tactical medic for EMS this year. I am simply talking about going through the TEMS class. Just wanted to clarify that. I dont see how it could hurt my skills as a paramedic in any way. Everyone has given great advice, even though I still havnt heard much about the TEMS course specifically.

If you do it through the military, you will learn skill sets that civilians never get to use...and its awesome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles