Tire Rotation

Hanley Noel

Observer
Quick question about Tire rotation. I have 2 spare tires on 80 series land cruiser. Is it best to rotate both spares or just one of them?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I only have one spare. I rotate all 5 clockwise. It has worked for years. I run BFG ATs so they can roll either direction, where a directional tire would be a different situation. If I had 2 spares, I'd rotate them both in, but one at a time. Still clockwise, though.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I only have one spare. I rotate all 5 clockwise. It has worked for years. I run BFG ats so they can roll either direction, where a directional tire would be a different situation.
Dave, tires are round...all tires can roll either direction...jeez.

Hedge

Adventurer
I rotate all five because I don't want to have an old, dried-out spare that isn't reliable. With the all-tire rotation, they all reach the end of the tread life at the same time and when it's time for new tires all of them are the same tread pattern, which I prefer, particularly on our full-time 4WDs. I can't think of a reason that I would not use a six-tire rotation pattern if I had another spare.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Clockwise

Straight clockwise? Meaning the left-front tire goes to the right-front, then the right-rear?

Interested because this method keeps the tires on the front/same axle for two rotations before they see the rear axle to 'true up'.

Not wrong, just different. It's simpler than the 5-tire rearward cross I have been doing recently.

I only have one spare. I rotate all 5 clockwise. It has worked for years. I run BFG ATs so they can roll either direction, where a directional tire would be a different situation. If I had 2 spares, I'd rotate them both in, but one at a time. Still clockwise, though.

luk4mud

Explorer
Maybe a silly question/ onservation- with full time 4wd, don't the tires wear pretty evenly? I have not rotated on my FJ80 yet, but I've only had it 4 months.

My Jeep GC also has full time AWD 4wd and the tires after
20k+ miles have very even tread wear.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Sounds logical but there are many variables to keep in mind...

Thread pattern of the tires, weight distribution of the car, any toque-steer issues (like my car), driving style (fast cornering or hard braking), etc. I think in general most AWD cars wear tires more quickly than when only one axle is ‘driven’.

It's great if your car wears the tires very evenly :)

Maybe a silly question/ onservation- with full time 4wd, don't the tires wear pretty evenly? I have not rotated on my FJ80 yet, but I've only had it 4 months.

My Jeep GC also has full time AWD 4wd and the tires after
20k+ miles have very even tread wear.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Straight clockwise? Meaning the left-front tire goes to the right-front, then the right-rear?

Interested because this method keeps the tires on the front/same axle for two rotations before they see the rear axle to 'true up'.

Not wrong, just different. It's simpler than the 5-tire rearward cross I have been doing recently.

Yup. It is easier for me to remember this way. If I had 2 spares, I'd only shift one into the rotation at a time. Every tire would move one position clockwise. I'm just dumb like that.

I went and looked through my rotation paperwork and there has never been a measurable difference between all 5 tires. I also rotate at 3k instead of 5k and get the balancing checked at the same time.

Dave

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Dumb nothin'... your method is certainly easier than the 5-tire rearward or forward cross. You are rotating often enough (as am I) that keeping the tires on the front axle for two rotations probably doesn't matter. It might if we were only rotating every 6-10K.

While there are several patterns (primary and optional) suggested for four tire rotations, I have only found a couple for 5-tire rotations. Your simple clockwise seems like a good #3.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

Taking my own advise, I decided to consult the owner's manual in the 4Runner... I was surprised to see only one rotation pattern listed:

Right Side-

Put the spare tire in the right-rear position, and rotate the spare and the other two right side tires in a clockwise pattern.

Left Side-

Rotate the left side tires front-to-back.

I assume the theory here is that since we drive on the right side of the road in North America, and roads are often crowned to the right edge, Toyota is confident that the right side tires will wear faster. I'm not sure so much faster that the spare never needs to leave the right side, but interesting. Considering my AWD car likes to pull to the right, more so with 4.88s, this might not be a bad plan.

Yup. It is easier for me to remember this way. If I had 2 spares, I'd only shift one into the rotation at a time. Every tire would move one position clockwise. I'm just dumb like that.

I went and looked through my rotation paperwork and there has never been a measurable difference between all 5 tires. I also rotate at 3k instead of 5k and get the balancing checked at the same time.

Dave

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 18

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
5-Tire Rotation

Here is an alternative 5-tire rotation method I don't remember seeing. Found it in one of my old automotive maintenance books.

The interesting difference is that the tires are not 'crossed' either to the front or to the rear (as is common). The fronts go straight back and only the left-rear is crossed to the right-front. Also, the spare spot is filled with a rear tire, not a front as with the other common 5 tire methods.

Attachments

• 5option.jpg
    5option.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

rdb4Runner

Observer
Oh no!

I'm in England right now with my 04' 4Runner, I'm going to have to look at my US owners manual with a mirror!:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles