Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: backpack vs rucksack

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
    AHHH The great rucksack vs. backpack debate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

a backpack is not what you carry your books and things around in. A backpack by current definition is what you use on an overnight hike ie; sleeping bag tent and gear. What you are referring to for books is called a daypack that is what kids use to carry their books to school and what you would use on a day hike.

Get a gunny sack.
    2000 Nissan D22 Last-Frontier-Build
    1974 Volkswagen Type 2
    2013 Fatback
    Expedition Portal Member #4318

Past rigs:
    1985 BMW E28 euro M5 Summer
    1987 Volvo 240GL Winter

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmedic46 View Post
    Which would be better to carry a laptop and a gps unit and a book back and fourth from work? A backpack or a rucksack?
    I doubt that you really care what this transportation device is called as long as it satisfactorily accomplishes its duties. There are several purpose built pieces of luggage with shoulder straps for carrying your laptop. I happen to use one built by Targus for 17" laptops. I call it a backpack because it has two shoulder straps and a waist belt. It has one padded compartment for the laptop and second and third zippered compartments in descending sizes that are more than adequate to fit several text books.

A quick search on Amazon will get you several options. I think I got mine at Office Depot. I have used it everyday for two years now and it barely shows any wear. It serves my purposes perfectly but my criteria doesn't include this giving it the correct moniker or sourcing it from the an Overland Certified vendor or caring that it has mainstream availability. It's a tool I use for work and therefore high function and high reliability is more important than credibility with forum membership.

Tactical Tailor makes a great new line called Operator Series.

I have a Modular Operator backpack that I have found to be fantastic.

I've had thousands of dollars into backpacks over the years, and I think I've found the pinnacle for myself.

Take a look at the Urban Operator pack that has a sleeve for a laptop instead of the water bladder pocket like the Modular Operator.

I like the design so much, I'm planning on getting two more for specific weekend duties.
    '05 Nissan Frontier Build Thread

'08 Nissan Xterra Build Thread

'09 Suzuki V Strom DL650 Build Thread

You can read all the stories and watch all the videos you want, but there's no substitute for just getting out there and doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja4X4 View Post
    You kids have no clue. A military rucksack is an exterior metal frame pack. Used extensively in VN it held 90+ pounds plus rolled sleeping gear or my fav jungle hamock. A back pack is what you guys use to carry books and homework Old soldiers never die they just smell that way.
    Right on

Most Rucksacks are waterproof..MOST backpacks are not.

I've got a cheap $40 hunting pack that I use to carry most of my work stuff with me (I drive a propane truck, so along with paperwork and stuff, I also have my work laptop, all the necessary cords, GPS unit with cord, phone stuff, ton of work envelopes and things and writing utensils, post its, etc. all in the pack) and it has worked great. Brand name is Hideaway and it even came with a water bottle and a fanny pack that I do actually use for hunting when I take all my work stuff out of the pack, lol.
    2005 Chevy Silverado Base 4X4: 4.8L, Auto, 4 door ex cab, short box, AEM Brute Force CAI, Flowmaster 40 SI/DO, 285's on 17 inch Helo's Summer and 265's on 17 inch Devino's for winter, custom made center console, custom engine tunes, custom headache rack, Kobalt contractors tool box, color matched grille and sport mirrors, HD towing mirrors, no power options but I got A/C!

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4: Needs a lot more done to it!

IMHO:
    When you say rucksack I assume (and you know what happens when you assume) military surplus. A backpack is meant for backpacking/ camping. A book bag/ school bag/ daypack is meant for carrying mundane things or maybe a day hike in a park. We won't get into my opinion of fanny packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja4X4 View Post
    You kids have no clue. A military rucksack is an exterior metal frame pack. Used extensively in VN it held 90+ pounds plus rolled sleeping gear or my fav jungle hamock. A back pack is what you guys use to carry books and homework Old soldiers never die they just smell that way.
    As a Grunt this is what I learnt too. However, I have to say that my Eberlestock G4 Operator is far better than the old ALICE pack. The new plastic moulded ruck sucks. It only takes breaking the frame on a Jump to figure that out real fast. At least when you bent the old ones it could be kicked/jumped on until it would work. I got my experience in Iraq.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast