backpack vs rucksack

Dirtytires

Explorer
You kids have no clue. A military rucksack is an exterior metal frame pack. Used extensively in VN it held 90+ pounds plus rolled sleeping gear or my fav jungle hamock. A back pack is what you guys use to carry books and homework Old soldiers never die they just smell that way.

Right on

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
I've got a cheap $40 hunting pack that I use to carry most of my work stuff with me (I drive a propane truck, so along with paperwork and stuff, I also have my work laptop, all the necessary cords, GPS unit with cord, phone stuff, ton of work envelopes and things and writing utensils, post its, etc. all in the pack) and it has worked great. Brand name is Hideaway and it even came with a water bottle and a fanny pack that I do actually use for hunting when I take all my work stuff out of the pack, lol.

LACamper

Adventurer
IMHO:
When you say rucksack I assume (and you know what happens when you assume) military surplus. A backpack is meant for backpacking/ camping. A book bag/ school bag/ daypack is meant for carrying mundane things or maybe a day hike in a park. We won't get into my opinion of fanny packs.

You kids have no clue. A military rucksack is an exterior metal frame pack. Used extensively in VN it held 90+ pounds plus rolled sleeping gear or my fav jungle hamock. A back pack is what you guys use to carry books and homework Old soldiers never die they just smell that way.

As a Grunt this is what I learnt too. However, I have to say that my Eberlestock G4 Operator is far better than the old ALICE pack. The new plastic moulded ruck sucks. It only takes breaking the frame on a Jump to figure that out real fast. At least when you bent the old ones it could be kicked/jumped on until it would work. I got my experience in Iraq.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
My everyday bag is the same as my travel around the world bag...It came from Tactical Tailor in Washington State...It's a simple large daypack design...Of course the stuff they make is made in the U.S.A...They do custom work too, if you ask nicely...

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
A backpack is a piece of outdoors gear that's handy for carrying your stuff.
A rucksack is a piece of gear with a weatherworn appearance, generally carried by guys with a one-day-old stubble beard, who are desperately looking for girlfriends. :)

Kiwi-Yank

rolando

Observer
@Kiwi-Yank that's funny - in German we just have one word for it: Rucksack. That makes me think now about the male population...

D110

Observer
I walk to work on a regular basis and carry a 15" laptop and usually a binder or two as well - I swear by Tom Bihn products and use both the Empire Builder (shoulder style bag) and the Smart Alec (rucksack/ backpack style.) My laptop contains everything for my job and the level of protection afforded by the Tom Bihn bags is hard to beat (when you use the Brain Cell inside your bag.) These bags aren't cheap, but they will last a lifetime - not to mention made right here in Seattle!

http://www.tombihn.com

TB0103_01b.jpg

peneumbra

Explorer
I use a Condor brand laptop bag with shoulder strap, in OD green with lots of compartments. Very sturdy construction, padded shoulder strap. D-rings, velcro, removable radio pouches, waterproof, et al.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Satchel?
Indiana Jones carried a satchel....

Whatever you want to call it, get something you want and will use.
Some of the bags suggested so far look a little, ummm, European or something. Do you want to carry that around?
Wouldn't you rather have something that makes a statement about you? A positive one?
Get a good bag, a lifetime bag, a legacy bag, one that gets more beautiful with time and use. One that you'll will to your progeny, one that they'll fight over when you're dead...
www.saddlebackleather.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste