NOAA and trip itinerary

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
I recently got a PLB and I thought that there was a way to inform NOAA of your trip intentions- where you are going, how long, how many people etc.

I dont know where to do that. I have an ACR PLB-300. It is registered but I dont know where to list my plans.

Anyone have a link?
Thanks

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I didn't know you could list your trip plans (for anything but flying, of course).

Have you tried the NOAA website where you register?

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
meh

I think I am probably just wrong!
The registration area seems specifically to be used to register and make registration changes, nothing else.

If they do it for aviation and not for vehicles I probably just got bad information.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I think I am probably just wrong!
The registration area seems specifically to be used to register and make registration changes, nothing else.

If they do it for aviation and not for vehicles I probably just got bad information.

The important thing is to stay safe and have a good trip!

scarysharkface

Explorer
I may be mistaken, but I *believe* it functions like an ELT an airplane would carry. A "plan" is irrelevant. Once set-off (by physical shock or water immersion), passing aircraft (possibly a satellite) would receive the signal and alert the Coast Guard or other such location-appropriate agency. They would send out an airplane which would then make passes and triangulate your location. It can take a while, and it is not fool-proof. More often than one would expect, people don't keep the battery fresh (regardless of regulation) and the device simply won't work when it should.

Surely someone on here knows more and/or better about them than I do. And I'll stop calling you Surely.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles