Beware of fake Safari Snorkels hitting the market.

STREGA

Explorer
I had a bad feeling about those, usally cheaper knockoffs are trouble. What is the problem or problems with them?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I had a bad feeling about those, usally cheaper knockoffs are trouble. What is the problem or problems with them?

Check out the link, poor plastic, UV fading and cracking problems, poor hardware and the one not touched on by the pdf but the biggest in my opinion is the warranty and spare parts support. With the Safari brand you get a warranty to back up the snorkel if something were to go wrong, not fit, etc.

Above that, the industry has shown that there is room to make a snorkel offering without having to plagiarize the design of another company, its not that big of a market ;) Reward innovation, R&D and industry support even if it means spending a few dollars more on a legit product.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
How do you identify a fake without a microscope?

Great question, start by buying it from a reputable dealer? Verify it comes in the Safari Snorkel box, has the high quality hardware (stainless & zinc coated, black coated hose clamps, etc) and the instructions, etc.

I've not seen them first hand except, I must have missed the ones at SEMA (didn't spend much time in the 'knock-off' booths lol). I'm not sure they are even here in the states in bulk, hopefully its not something we have to deal with in scale but better safe than sorry.

Scott Brady

Founder
so pathetic. The consumer must not stand for this. It is the consumer that determines if the innovator or the imitator is to be rewarded.

762X39

Explorer
We used to have a sign up at the shop were I worked in my 20's. "There are those out there that charge less than us, they above all others know what their services are worth".:coffee:
It's funny but I NEVER buy something from someone based on price.Sure sometimes it is the lowest price but often it isn't.I make my purchases from people I like and usually their service also comes into the equation.I try not to buy stuff where I have to rely on the warranty but do want the vendor to help me out if I run into trouble.
In the case of a snorkel, I don't do enough desert running to need it and my safe fording depth leaves every one else behind on the shore.:)

Explorer
so pathetic. The consumer must not stand for this. It is the consumer that determines if the innovator or the imitator is to be rewarded.

So true, however sometimes it takes a poor competitor to make us realize how good a product really is.

For instance, I always knew that a Safari snorkel kept water out of an engine. Now I know that it was designed to last a lifetime, resists damage and the hardware will not cause corrosion.

It makes me want the real deal even more because I want the best, I had not considered Safari the best, I considered it the only.

Competition makes us stronger, and cutting corners leaves no edge. I'll bet Safari gains from this.

STREGA

Explorer
Check out the link, poor plastic, UV fading and cracking problems, poor hardware and the one not touched on by the pdf but the biggest in my opinion is the warranty and spare parts support. With the Safari brand you get a warranty to back up the snorkel if something were to go wrong, not fit, etc.

Above that, the industry has shown that there is room to make a snorkel offering without having to plagiarize the design of another company, its not that big of a market ;) Reward innovation, R&D and industry support even if it means spending a few dollars more on a legit product.

I kinda figured that would be the issues. Agree about the warranty/spare parts support, I use to work in the powersport industry and had to deal with the made in china scooters & atv's and finding spare parts was a constant nightmare, the companys that sold the junk go out of buisness as fast as they got in. I go out of my way not to buy stuff made in china, even if it cost more (in the long run it's cheaper to buy quality products) but sometimes there is no options. I just bought a Ezi-Awn RTT even though it was quite a bit more $$, because the china made tents did not impress me all that much in their construction and the quality of the materials used.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
so if I can suddenly buy a snorkel from SierraExpeditions for like $5.00, that should raise a red flag, right?

:D

(hehe, just kidding wil and wendy, I know y'all wouldn't deal in this stuff...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles