receiver extension with winch

frumpy

Explorer
My receiver mounted winch currently does not clear my spare tire so I was wonder if an extension would work. Obvisouly I would only use it for a straight or pretty much straight pull. If I needed to do a bad angle pull I would use snatch blocks or pop off the spare tire and take the extension out.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Oh, and its currently on sale, $45 on for $20

frumpy

Explorer
you are brilliant, I didn't even think of that. Its a 10,000lbs winch but the solinoid can be moved where ever so that should work.

frumpy

Explorer
I made a plate to raise my spare. Could something like that work?

Its a jeep liberty, that wouldn't work because then the glass would not be able to open or close (and the glass has to be up for the door to open)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
No problem.

Depending on the winch model, you can also rotate the free wheel lever housing up so it would be pointing forward or backwards instead of down at the ground. That way when you are winching you don't have to worry about it getting hit.

skysix

Adventurer
Why not use some appropriately rated chain to good hardpoints, two of them, frame width apart, then build a 'skid' tray for the winch, and chain it to the truck so it sits 4-6 feet away. It will come up of the ground when tight but angles will be no problem. Just get an extension cable or buy welding cable (#0 AWG works well) to get the power to the winch from the connector.

frumpy

Explorer
two problems with that, first the jeeps a unibody so the only really good point is the hitch. Second, if its two pieces of chain, on any angle only one side will actually be used as the other side will just have slack

skysix

Adventurer
two problems with that, first the jeeps a unibody so the only really good point is the hitch. Second, if its two pieces of chain, on any angle only one side will actually be used as the other side will just have slack

Can't help on the first, but if you have a 3/4" shackle through the plate the winch is mounted on and a single chain runs through it, it is possible to set the winch in place so tension is on both halves of the chain. Will also, to a degree, self adjust.

I suppose however it would be easier to use a 12' x 1/2" choker cable and a snatch block with the block fixed to the winch plate - that would evenly spread the load.

java

Expedition Leader

the other problem is chain...... i hate the stuff....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would stay away from the 'soft' mounted winch system. Without a 'hard' mount of some kind it is very hard to assist with the vehicle. If try and assist, gain traction, and move forward too much, the winch can bounce off the ground.....

frumpy

Explorer
I would stay away from the 'soft' mounted winch system. Without a 'hard' mount of some kind it is very hard to assist with the vehicle. If try and assist, gain traction, and move forward too much, the winch can bounce off the ground.....

Good points, although if it came down to a situation where I had no other choice than to be stranded I would rig up a tree save to the hitch to git-r-done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior