Tire chains, snow, mud, and airing down.....

Where is the best place to get snow chains? I haven't owned a set since I lived in very northern California 20 years ago. I need some for my 35" KM2's after tonight not being able to get up my driveway without three hours of tractor work first. It would have been easier to just chain up.

Lovely weather out there aye?

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Where is the best place to get snow chains? I haven't owned a set since I lived in very northern California 20 years ago. I need some for my 35" KM2's after tonight not being able to get up my driveway without three hours of tractor work first. It would have been easier to just chain up.

I just bought a set of RUD Mud Chains from Safari LTD in Grand Junction, CO. I have to have them for our jungle tour through Guatemala! I've never personally used mud chains, but I wanted to run my BFG AT's on this trip. Should be a good combo.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

What PSI where the tires at? Did you try low air pressure?

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
tire chains

Okay just wanted to chime in on the tire chain debate. RUD chains are great and work in just about any situation. The design of the chain lets you install them more quickly than I could air down and they can run at decent speed on the highway if needed. They are light weigh and pack up nicely. I have kept a set for all 4 wheels in my Land Rover for nearly 15 years. I leave them in the vehicle year round.
I have only been able to drive on snow a couple of times over the years because the snow was hard pack but as soon as you get to any incline the wheels spin and your done. Chains again solved the problem.

I think chains are a good investment. But by all means by good chains. RUD

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I just aquired some Trygg SMT Flexi's for my Unimog2011-12-02 14.25.19.jpg2011-12-02 14.32.24.jpg2011-12-02 14.50.39.jpg2011-12-02 14.50.55.jpg2011-12-02 15.19.27.jpg

But we haven't had any snow to try them out...but I'm happy with that! ;)

lovetoski

Observer

These guys have chains for larger tires. I got a set from them and they've worked great. Need to get a bigger set since I just went from 33" to 35" tires.

http://www.tirechain.com/

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
OK I didn't read the whole thread, read a few pages and skipped to the end. Bet heres my opinion on chains.

I think they are great. I run a full size thats usually right around 7500-8500 and when your that heavy it real tough to make em float. If chains weren't great why do all municipalities and counties that have to push or move any amount of snow run em an not a good siped tire?

Any who, I got a set of heavy truck chains that I cut to fit, I don't run any tensioners or anything. I just air down a pair of tires slide em on and air em up.

As far as storage goes, most people carry a spare outside the vehicle on a swing out why not drape em over that? Most people also have a big after market bumper you could hang em on too, that would also up the "cool" factor a few notches also. If you run 2 spares just put em on the tires ready to go, its much easier to change tires than it is to install chains when your already stuck.

Couple pics, This was a storm we got 2 years ago. We had already had about 14" of snow when this storm dumped about a foot more but with high wind and drifted everything shut.

This first set was with 4" of lift and 35" BFG ATs and I was STUCK hard
whoops006.jpg

whoops007.jpg

whoops009.jpg

The next day I dug the 34" swampers out and fit the chains
whoops020.jpg

On my way over to a buddys to pull him out I ran into a road that had drifted closed again and with out the chains on some wheel speed and plenty of HP I would have been walking. about 300 yds past this photo op I busted out to see a toyota car geting pushed out of the ditch after turning around after seeing the road. The look on their faces was priceless when they saw me bust out of the great white unknown. I'm not gonna lie it took some trying to get busted all the way through but it made it all the way under it own power.

whoops003.jpg

whoops002.jpg

whoops004.jpg

Heres the truck I had to drag out to the road. About 15,000lbs of loaded car hauler
whoops007.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My big ol' dodge floats pretty well when the tires are in the single digits. I had to do a little work to get the tires to fit :elkgrin:

When you where stuck with the 35s did you try airing down?

How many people have tried it both ways?

I have a pair of chains that fit 315/75r16s if anyone wants them :sombrero:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'll take you up on those tire chains :) I can even have them picked up locally, too!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'll send you a pm. I will try and locate them and dig them out tonight. They may be under some snow on the side of the garage....mmmmmmm.....

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
No I did not try to air down, It was about 20 -30 below 0 and I was cold so i hoofed it back to town to steal my buddys truck.
It wouldn't have mattered anyway cause it still took about 3 hours to get it pulled out and we broke a couple straps in the process. I was also really heavy when I took those pics I had about 3000lbs of extra weight in the bed for traction and a nice ride.

whoops002.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That is a bit of weight for SURE!

My dodge is within about 300-400lbs of balanced front to rear with the shell, some gear, and the big spare tire. I think its still under 7000lbs.

Do you really need THAT much weight? I rarely need 4wd around here on winter roads with the big tires and the rear powr-lok. I can fully understand going for a nicer ride however.....:sombrero:

For a general note to those reading this thread. If you keep the front end of the vehicle heavier than the rear aired down snow performance will be MUCH better than if the rear end is heavier than the front. With the front end heavier the front tires pack down a track and the lighter rear end will tend to ride on top of the front tire track. If the rear end is heavier the rear tires sink down in the front tire tracks and the vehicle is always trying to climb up on top of the snow with all 4 tires. Just another little trick that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online