Advice on buying a Ford

Beachboyy

Adventurer
I am starting to look for an F250-350. Will be purchasing it in the spring (march/april). I am looking at trucks from about 2000 - 2004. Spending between $14k - $20k. Looks like there are tons of trucks in these years and price ranges. I actually own a Silverado right now but am making the switch. I just need some advice on what to look for in the Fords. Common problems? Forgot to mention it has to be a diesel so there a "better" motor, the 6.0L or 7.3L? Going to build this truck and have a light pop up camper in the bed for a trip to the arctic ocean next summer (more to come on this later). I know that everyone has their own opinions on brand (dodge, chevy, ford, toyota, etc...) and in a perfect world I would love to have a ford body, cummins, and an allison. However, I am pretty set on the ford just want some input from people that know them better than I. Thanks, Gus

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If you're going 00-04, get a 7.3. I have a 6.0, no problems, but the 03 & 04 6.0's had some issues that may or may not have been addressed. I personally think the 99-04 leaf spring setup is better. Simpler & more durable.

And that Cummins swap isn't too crazy, guys are already doing it!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'd agree on the 7.3 engine. Common problems are, the high pressure oil injection system leaking, injector O ring leaking, turbo O rings leaking, fuel drain valve leaking, Crank shaft Position Sensor failure, all straight forward fixes if you are mechanically inclined.

I am also experiencing internal turbo seal issues that I understand are not too uncommon.

I'll be putting an AT FlipPac on mine and converting the interior using our composite material, installing a heater, shower, water etc. Sounds like you will be doing something along the same lines.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, stick with the 7.3

And if you can, go for a single rear wheel (non-dually) F350, so you are sure to have a solid front axle.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
If you're going 00-04, get a 7.3. I have a 6.0, no problems, but the 03 & 04 6.0's had some issues that may or may not have been addressed. I personally think the 99-04 leaf spring setup is better. Simpler & more durable.

And that Cummins swap isn't too crazy, guys are already doing it!

I agree 100%! I had a 2000 F350 Powerstroke with the 6 speed manual. Overall, probably the best truck I've ever owned. With the front leaf springs you most likely will never have to worry about the "death wobble" that the newer Fords and Dodges with the coil front ends suffer from. Lots of rough roads and those coil-sprung front ends soon need all those bushings in the locating arms and track bars replaced. If I had to offer any advice, if you get an F350 and you're not going to be hauling a lot of weight, find some way of softening the rear suspension. I drive mostly dirt roads and unless you have about a ton or more of weight in the back, these things ride way too rough. The rough ride tends to shake things apart, and the stiff suspension also prevents good articulation. That's where a half-ton has it way over a 1-ton.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I went down the same road you're looking at, Beachboyy. I was looking for a late '99 - '03 F250/F350 with a 7.3. AT or manual, had to be 4x4, crew cab, long bed - and no mods. No chips, no lifts, no bigger tires, less than 150k miles, etc. Took me a bit over three months and literally hundreds of trucks, but I found it. Paid 11K for it, in excellent condition.

A late '99 (the reason I mention "late" is that there's actually a difference between the early/late '99 trucks - engine and suspension wise. The "late" '99 trucks are much closer to the '00 - '03/'04 superduties, makes it easier to find parts for them).

On these trucks, as has been mentioned, HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) o-ring lines sometimes fail, injector o-rings sometimes fail, water pumps are a known failure point due to the amount of crap in the coolant, the coolant needs to be charged with an SCA package, and monitored. The auto tranny, the 4R100 has the same issues all auto trannies do, watch temps and change fluid, if not, get a properly rebuilt one from someone like Woods. Camshaft position sensor and cruise control are both on the recall list from Ford, most trucks I saw had already been done.

The first things I did to the truck were a full oil and filter change, put in a new waterpump and coolant filter, new hoses, new serpentine. Next on the list are a full gauge set, transmission cooler, and tranny filter. Next after that is a heavy duty air cleaner setup, and that will do it for the engine/tranny mods.

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
Do NOT get a 6.0, if you happen to get one, become very good friends with the local diesel mechanics. Some last, some dont, very expensive to fix.

With the 7.3, they are all good from 99-03 but the 99-2000 have forged rods while the 01+ 7.3 and 6.0 have powered metal rods, much weaker and not know for reliablilty if you up the hp to much.

Last edited:

bronconut

Observer
Yep, stick with the 7.3

And if you can, go for a single rear wheel (non-dually) F350, so you are sure to have a solid front axle.

All 4x4 super Duty's have solid front ends, look for a 2001 and up as they have a Dana 60 as opposed to the weaker Dana 50. Feel free to ask any questions I've been a Ford tech for over 20 years.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
You don't have to completely rule out the 6.0L. There are plenty of happy 6.0L owners out there.
But, there are common issues that you need to be aware of and you should be looking for a late model 6.0L if any. Here is an article that highlights the common problems and fixes.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0907dp_6_0l_ford_power_stroke_engine/index.html
Personally, I would be worried about an 06-07 6.0L. Although I would want to replace the head gaskets and head studs with APR studs (especially if you plan on power adders), and install a coolant filter.

I was able to find some late model 6.0L super duties about a year ago in the low 20's at dealers. A lot of people rule out the 6.0L because they haven't done a lot of research on them, and a friend of a friend told them they are all bad.

jagular7

Adventurer
I'm wanting to sell my F350 Crew c&c not due to the 6.0l but the city. This 6.0l appears to be fine. When I bought it, I got the warranty for service from my locel Ford dealership. It appears that if you don't take care of swapping fuel filters as required, the injectors act up. In review, it looks like the injectors have been replaced over the warranty period.
To add, it has been cold here in the midwest. Since I have parked the F350 in the street, I don't connect it to keep it warm. It still starts however.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I bought a 2001 Ford F350 AT, CC, short bed early last year. It had 65,000 miles on the clock. I have driven it to 84,000 since then. No problems at all, just oil and filter changes - including removing the aftermarket air filter and replacing with a factory filter.

I added both EGT and transmission temp gauges. Beginning in 2002 the factory included a transmission temp gauge in the cluster. There were some problems with rigs towing heavy loads and this overheated the tranny. I have never had mine over 200 deg. F when towing, and my mechanic says that sustained use over 230 degrees may cause problems. Unless you tow heavy stuff, this should never be a problem.

The Cam Position Sensor is under factory recall, so you can check the VIN and get a status on that item. They will change it out if needed.

I love the 7.3L TD, and run it stock.

The only other mod I made is a full interior sound proofing with Dynamat and a set of slightly oversize (285/75/R16) Toyo M55 tires. Eventually I will install the Ford HD Air Induction System, and a tranny cooler from a 6.0L engine, which is a bit more efficient. These are both Ford standard parts.

deminimis

Explorer
Another vote for the 7.3. Its a work horse of an engine. Loved mine. Good mileage and some mild tweaksseem to go a long way. Lots like their 6.0s, but a buddy of mine is already on his second turbo (stock configuration). I just bought a newer D-Max and love it but I would have likely stayed with Ford if they had the 7.3 in the newer trucks. Avoid the 6.4 at all costs (doesn't sound like your looking for that new, no a non-issue I guess).

As mentioned above, the HPOP and associated parts can give you fits and the parts aren't exactly cheap. Another thing to look consider is the down tubes. They wear and cause leaks at the donuts. A great fix is the International bellows kit.

Lots on intel on dieselstop.com Oh yea, waterpump could start failing (weeping) around 80-100k miles, but not always, of course.

805gregg

Adventurer
Get a Cummins. I have 2 1 ton dodge's and 1 Ford, the Ford will never start, the Dodges run strong every day.

bftank

Explorer
i had an '03 7.3l crew with longbed, 6 speed tranny and 35"s. i miss it terribly. got 18-19 mpg on a regular basis, extremely comfy, awesome transmission- perfect shift pattern. rock solid reliable. pretty capable offroad and descent turning radius.

currently i own an '01 3500 dodge dually with the six speed and 160,000. so far it's been reliable, mileage is crappy, and the tranny is starting to shift funny, to be fair i've only owned this one for a couple of months and am still in the process of tuning it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke