hitch rack vs roof rack vs trailer

tommudd

Explorer
Or do like me I have all three, depending on what I am doing, where I am going, who all is going with me etc. Each time is a little different. I do have to admit I use the trailers more really when going on longer weekend trips, way easier. If its an overnighter then stuff inside and on the roof rack!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I'm having all three (roof rack, trailer and hitch rack). For camping, I decided to go with a trailer, but just general gear hauling, I'm using my hitch rack with a raiser bar or Z bar the most. The raiser bar solved a good bit of the departure angle issues.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
not sure if my two cents will help, but I ultimately built my rear storage drawers and roof basket. The drawers are nice because it allows my dog to be above some of my gear and i store light stuff like chairs and table on the roof.

The plastic container travels inside the back
10427_1052909781365_1784404091_106652_3059046_n.jpg

but we were sleeping in the back.
10427_1052909741364_1784404091_106651_5696705_n.jpg

You could build a drawer system in back to store most of your gear and keep the dogs above it.

frumpy

Explorer
I've pretty much decided to go with the trailer for the reason I have one already and it can carry the most gear and would be easiest way to transport a canoe. I am going to upgrade the axle and go with 29" tires. I just have to decide if I want to keep the box that's on there (4.5 ft wide) or buuld a new box 36" wide the same as the trailer frame rails.

frumpy

Explorer
Any input on trailer size? If I stick with the current box the spring perch's will be 36" wide with the axle being probably 72" wide, with a narrowed box I could get away with an axle as narrow as 54"(ish) range.

Inc

Observer
Any input on trailer size? If I stick with the current box the spring perch's will be 36" wide with the axle being probably 72" wide, with a narrowed box I could get away with an axle as narrow as 54"(ish) range.

If you are going to build a box from scratch and get a new axle made to fit, I'd match the jeep's width and then make it so the wheelbase from trailer tires to rear jeep tires is the same as the KJ's wheelbase. My box is small, only 48"x48 roughly, most go a little bigger, at least in length. Try and build it with future plans on mind. Tent, propane holder, storage/tool boxes and so on and so on.

frumpy

Explorer
If you are going to build a box from scratch and get a new axle made to fit, I'd match the jeep's width and then make it so the wheelbase from trailer tires to rear jeep tires is the same as the KJ's wheelbase. My box is small, only 48"x48 roughly, most go a little bigger, at least in length. Try and build it with future plans on mind. Tent, propane holder, storage/tool boxes and so on and so on.

I was thinking of going with a 36"x60" box as it would fit perfect on the trailer frame. definatly going to keep a rtt in mind for it (I know its a little narrow but with how low it is to the ground and the actual width of the axle it should be fine). I plan on having everything else within the actual box, except for maybe a jerry.

As for the hitch carrier thats the style I was looking at buying/building but it would have to go out too far to clear the spare and then I would lose access to the trunk.

As for the hitch carrier thats the style I was looking at buying/building but it would have to go out too far to clear the spare and then I would lose access to the trunk.

Yeh, I found that a problem recently. I had to buy a 55gallon storage tote to put my daughter's Christmas loot in to haul back. Then I had 2 dogs in the back and it was a bit difficult to get both of them in and out because the tailgate couldnt go down. Thankfully my mutts are less than 50lbs.

frumpy

Explorer
My dogs aren't exactly big at 15lbs but there crates take up a lot of room in an already space limited liberty.

I'm on holidays right now but once I get back I will be doing some measurements of the trailer frame and figuring out what width axle etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior