Help With Diesel Van

Cambo

Adventurer
Looking for a diesel van as it would seem a conversion to 4x4 would be cheaper than a conversion to diesel. So far I have narrowed it down to the Ford diesels, but there are so many of them!! I started a search and haven't yet found a website with good diesel specific info. I am hoping fellow expo members can shime in on what engines they have, pros & cons, etc. Are the Navistar engines better or should I try to get a newer powerstroke? Help!

Saline

Adventurer
Check out www.sportsmobileforum.com as well as www.thedieselstop.com

The Powerstroke engines 7.3, 6.0,and 6.4 are made by Navistar.
Honestly an older Ford van with the 7.3 is the best bet. They are workhorses and are much less finicky than the 6.0L.

The 6.0L has a bad reputation but most of the bugs have been worked out except the EGR/Oil cooler issues (read: get a coolant filter system). So far I am happy with my 6.0L and like the 15-16mpg, even weighing in at over 10,000lbs.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Ive got one of the older diesel vans...

from all that I have read..and seen myself...(my opinions...and some of the info might be wrong..but Im givin ya what I've seen/heard)

6.9/7.3 NON POWERSTROKE...durable..but not as much power as a powerstroke..simpler engines..less electronics (almost none!)..

7.3 powerstroke's did have some problems with the crank sensors but for the mostpart..one of the BEST diesel engines ford put in anything less than a big truck..

6.0's..early gens had some problems...turbo's..auto trans and t-cases had gremlins..some engine electrical flukes...but the 07 and later years (and NOT ALL early years were bad!!) had less problems...

the 6.4's have some issues with the EGR..and some other problems with fuel milage compared to the even the 6.0's...

Im lookin at a new sportsmobile in 5 years...and I wanna see what the new scorpion engine will be doing..as far as milage and power..and reliability..

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Subscribed! Looks like we might be doing a build together Cameron! Are you getting rid of the Transvan?

Robthebrit

Explorer
There is a 7.3 powerstroke, quigley converted e350 4x4 for sale in Boulder, I don't know the price but next time I drive past it I'll get some info.

Rob

Cambo

Adventurer
There is a 7.3 powerstroke, quigley converted e350 4x4 for sale in Boulder, I don't know the price but next time I drive past it I'll get some info.

Rob

Definitely get some info on this please!!

Stevenmd - Already got rid of the transvan. I am truly crazy!! Bad news is I had to throw in your trailer to make the sale!! :Wow1:

Wanderer RRORC - What years did the powerstroke become available? Sounds like the 7.3 is the one, I do like the idea of fewer electronics inthe earlier models. Did the 7.3 ever come with a turbo?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Definitely get some info on this please!!

Stevenmd - Already got rid of the transvan. I am truly crazy!! Bad news is I had to throw in your trailer to make the sale!! :Wow1:

Wanderer RRORC - What years did the powerstroke become available? Sounds like the 7.3 is the one, I do like the idea of fewer electronics inthe earlier models. Did the 7.3 ever come with a turbo?

the first 7.3 non powerstrokes did have some turbo..(88-93..some factory ATS some aftermarket banks FROM the dealer..some owner installed...I have the older 6.9 I put a turbo on)...some others not...

it looks like 1994 powerstrokes hit the fords...99 they got an intercooler..and some 03's are powerstrokes..some are 6.0's

Cambo

Adventurer
Are the Detroit diesels just junk or??? How about this one?

https://www.baycitymotors.net/

Look for the bright green diesel van. It doesn't list the mileage, I will call tomorrow. Also, with a rig like this, ex ambulance, I am sure besides the miles it sat and idled for a long time. Does the idle time take a toll on these engines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne