Ford V-10 reliability?

Wonderland

Explorer
Looks like it is the only new fullsize truck non-diesel, I can get with a manual transmission. GM discontinued its' standard transmission, and I didn't even look at the Dodges since I don't care for them.

What can you "experts" tell me about the reliability?

Explorer
They reliably drink fuel better than most.

They are reliable however, we have one in our work fleet that has only had one major issue, a cracked y-manifold.

I would avoid them like a mouth kiss from a leper because of the mileage though.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
My friends who are Ford techs who also work on diesels almost all drive them in their own vehicles as their engine by choice. They get awful mileage (10mpg empty or loaded usually) but are very reliable and low maintenance supposedly.

I think they are great personally...

deserteagle56

Adventurer
They reliably drink fuel better than most.

I have one in a 2007 E350. I can rely on it to get no better than 12 mpg.

As for mechanically, mine has only 24k miles on it with no issues, just routine maintenance. The only other one I know of belongs to one of my suppliers; it is in an F550 flatbed that's always loaded heavy. It now has nearly 200k on it with no major issues - unlike the tranny.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks like it is the only new fullsize truck non-diesel, I can get with a manual transmission. GM discontinued its' standard transmission, and I didn't even look at the Dodges since I don't care for them.

What can you "experts" tell me about the reliability?

Man, I don’t know about that combination. Have you ever driven one? You have to rev the snot out of the V10 to get any HP and torque out of it which is even more pronounced when backed by the clumsy shifting ZF dump truck transmission. The only thing less enjoyable to drive is a 5.4L V8 with a manual trans.

As far as the V10 itself, it is much more reliable than a 6.0L/6.4L Powerstroke.

I actually didn’t think any of the big 3 offered a gas engine backed by a manual trans after 2008 due to federal emissions changes. Manual trans equipped rigs emit more hydrocarbons due to the RPM fluctuations, which that combined with slow sales is why GM (last manual 2006) and Dodge (last gas manual 2009) dropped the combination and did not invest in making them compliant for 2010 gas emissions. I would be surprised of the dirty running V10 still had a manual available as well. Even though Ford’s website still allows you to build one I would check with a dealer before you get your heart set on one.

HINO SG

Adventurer
My limited experience with the V-10 was, other than the mileage, more than acceptable, and the fuel consumption probably wasn't to bad a price to to pay compared to the some of the hassles of diesel ownership, esp. a less-than-perfect diesel like the 6.0 (and I'm a diesel fan- but a realist, too).

Might a little thirsty compared to a standard V-8, though.

Wonderland

Explorer
Man, I don't know about that combination. Have you ever driven one? You have to rev the snot out of the V10 to get any HP and torque out of it which is even more pronounced when backed by the clumsy shifting ZF dump truck transmission. The only thing less enjoyable to drive is a 5.4L V8 with a manual trans.

We had a gas 10 yard dump. It seemed to do fine, it did have a 2 speed rear end though.

I can't go with a new diesel since I go to Baja quite a bit, would be a bit afraid to run high sulfur diesel in the new generation diesel enigines. That and the price jump over gas, among other things....too many cons to diesel.

Yeah, I am thinking I am going to have to ditch my manual transmission dreams. I will have to give up too much in other areas. I only need something bigger than my Tacoma, a 1/2 ton crew cab will be fine, just no manual transmission. (oh well :()

I got the go ahead from "The Boss" for a new truck. I don't want a project, I have had too many of those, plus I spin plenty of wrenches on the dirt bikes, I just want something to throw the bikes and gear in and go!!!!!! :)

I have been looking at the new Chevy/GMC's and the Tundra crew cabs, this is about all I need.

77500_ca01.jpg

87000_misc03.jpg

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Stay away from the Chevy if you plan lots of trips off roads. The frames are weak, the chassis shimmies and they become rattle traps worse than any other trucks when used a lot off pavement. I work for a coal mining company and the Chevy trucks on the jobs are absolutely the worst to ride in.
The Tundras are quiet inside, but the whole frame twists and shakes a lot on washboard, so you see them driving a lot slower than the others to keep the shaking down. The ford trucks stay much more solid, both the F150s and super duties. Just my experience...

maximumrob

Adventurer
I don't know why all you guys are complaining about low-geared, 7,000-lb trucks getting 10mpg. My freakin' Wrangler only gets 14.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't know why all you guys are complaining about low-geared, 7,000-lb trucks getting 10mpg. My freakin' Wrangler only gets 14.

My lifted Ranger and lifted Sport Trac both got a steady 14mpg as well. My F150 on 35's with stock gearing gets anywhere from 12-15mpg so I can't complain much.

One of my dad's old work vans had a V10 and he had it for well over 150k miles with no problems. It was an older year model so I think he had a transmission problem at one point. The van was nearly always over-loaded and spent most of it's time in the mountains in Oregon though and the engine always pulled strong.

wely

Observer
Ford Ecursion V-10

My 4x4 Excursion has 285/75-16 tires and 4.30 gears and I get 10 in the city and 14 on the Highway. I love the V-10! One thing most mechanics will remind you is that this motor is a heavy-duty motor that likes to rev high and work hard. Don't be afraid to let the motor scream!

My 2000 F250 V10 is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I now have 90,000 trouble-free miles. Mileage ranges from 10 - 13 mpg depending on load. Best regards, ELN.

Over The Edge

Ford V10 Experiences

I've got a pre-March '99 F250 and the mileage does suck, but it has been very reliable (80K) mostly offroad. It's been to Rousch Creek, Paragon, Coal Creek, Telico, Land Between the Lakes, Skyjacker, etc., and it still has lots of power and held up. No small thing when crawling a vehicle this size with little jeeps. However, as I said the mileage is awful and you'll take an even bigger hit on mileage when you go to big tires and gears.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
One thing most mechanics will remind you is that this motor is a heavy-duty motor that likes to rev high and work hard. Don't be afraid to let the motor scream!

I think most mechanics would tell you heavy duty engines shouldn’t need to be revved like mad to squeeze power out of them. A heavy pick up loaded down with a camper and goodies needs an engine with low RPM torque, which is why Ford never used the V10 in medium duty truck such as an F650 on up.

The old Ford 7.5L 460 big blocks had great low end torque. Old Dodge 440's were also torque monsters while the GM 8.1L is probably the modern day gasoline torque monster king where it has serious diesel like stump pulling torque right off idle. A Ford V10 has to be spun close to 5,000 RPM’s in order to get into the power band, which is why I said above the manual trans V10 trucks are not a joy to drive. That combination is like a sports car engine backed by a dump truck transmission….not a good match of powertrain components if you ask me.

If you look around at the big class A motorhomes you will find the majority of the gasoline models are powered by GM 8.1L V8 big blocks as that engine gets a lot of work down with very little effort while the V10 is turns twice the RPM’s and sounds like the pistons are swapping holes while trying to achieve the same task. I must say the last few years, Ford has thrown a ton of incentives at the F53 RV chassis which has helped them sell more V10’s vs. the Workhorse RV chassis with an 8.1L in the RV world but RVer’s that want off idle torque buy Workhorse’s. RV’s that are budget or brand conscience buy V10’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles