Okay so RTT's who's got one?

revor

Explorer
What brand is it and how do they like it?

After being PM'd and E mailed about how awful I am to post up a pic of two ROW 110's and three RTT's I figured I'd ask the mob.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Let's go into more detail and post up what you have and what you like/dislike about it.:chef:

Scott Brady

Founder
I have an Eezi-Awn 1400 for rooftop mount on moderate trails
I have an Eezi-Awn Trekker on the Adventure Trailers chaser

Based on my experience, Eezi-Awn is the most durable and reliable, and also the easiest of the clamshells to stow (i.e., no zippers or complex covers, etc.). I love the classic canvas and wood construction too.

Disco2Guy

Observer
Not an owner... yet. I've been contemplating getting an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1200 (used at about 1/2 the $$$ of new) for a while now, but am still not sure if I should take the plunge. I've read the other thread on the roof rack and RTT and fully understand the pros/cons of the RTT setup. For me the biggest issue is mounting and storing it. My D2 is on 255/85/r16 KM2's, w/ 2" RTE springs and 1" spacers all around. I have the tall version SD rack too. The RTT "should" be sitting on the floor, not the upper bars as far as I'm concerned, but that means chopping the rack to deploy to the side, or rear which I'd rather not do. It seems a lot of the debate is over ground tents, but I have a double wide Tent-Cot and it's setup is pretty quick. However ground conditions are a factor when unfolding it and taking it down.

I live in an apartment in San Francisco and while my truck does still miraculously fit in the garage (probably the only one in the city that does) I'd be left with storing it in my apt. unit, or renting a storage unit for it and other Rover parts. With the current lift I can reach the top of the rack (I'm 6'5") but none of my other friends would be a lot of help getting the RTT up there. It would have to be mounted outside of my garage which opens to one of the busiest streets in SF, 19th Ave. I can only think of a few trips per year I would use it, Mojave Road and the Oregon Discovery Trail. Sounds like I'm talking myself out if it huh? But the allure of it is soooo very tempting.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I have an Eezi-Awn Series 2200 Family Tent mounted on the Chaser. I am really pleased with it. It is seriously huge. In hindsight I should have selected a smaller tent. The family doesn't get out with me as much as I anticipated and I sometimes feel ostentatious when I deploy the taj majal on solo trips. :costumed-smiley-007

sbly

Observer
I have an ARB Simpson III with annex mounted on a LC 200. I have used it from the beaches of Rhode Island to the mountains of Colorado.

sbly

revor

Explorer
I have to agree with the cover thing.. I have a Hannibal on the 110 and have had others with attached covers and they make it a pain in some cases.

I have an Eezi-Awn 1400 for rooftop mount on moderate trails
I have an Eezi-Awn Trekker on the Adventure Trailers chaser

Based on my experience, Eezi-Awn is the most durable and reliable, and also the easiest of the clamshells to stow (i.e., no zippers or complex covers, etc.). I love the classic canvas and wood construction too.

LUISJG

Explorer
I have the folowing

old style mombasa---big tent great for summer beach camping
new style mombasa -- great tent for summer also

this are similar to arb and camping lab

why for summer ? = they have lots of condensation.

eezi awn 1200 ---the best tent I have.
for winter its my only choice.

Explorer
I have a 1400 EZi-AWN T-top. Mounted on my tacoma.

I really debated over the cost of it, but once deployed I was so thankful I spent the extra cash!!

I love the versatility of the T-top because I can camp for a long time in inclement weather and have loads of standing room. or I can just deploy it like a regular Rtt if I'm not going to be in one spot for more than a few days.

Mine serves a double purpose as also the roof to my cargo area. I made the mistake of mounting it above cab height first for more room and it was too top heavy and in the way of tree limbs.

I'm now bending some tube and making gussets for a new rack that will put it above the bed but below the cab height.

ShearPin

Adventurer
I had an Eezi-Awn 1400 on my 110. I loved the quick set-up. I found the ability to camp for the night regardless of ground conditions - whether it be rocky, muddy, concrete - outweighed concerns I had of finding level ground. In the heat I could always find breezes on top of the 110. On frosty nights the warmer temps inside where noticable when climbing back up after a trip to the trees.....

Speaking of Eezi-Awn quality.... the tent came on my 110 and was well travelled. I'd guess it was atleast 8 years old given the previous owners photos. The cover was sun baked and rotten with the usual friction holes along the ladder - easy fix with a replacement. With a bit of duct tape it help out the elements. The wood showed some staining from water but the canvas and window mesh were like new. Being critical - the velcro acted its age. Also, the tent appeared to have shrunk a little requiring some sun and adjustment of the velcro enclosures around the main hinges. It required checking at night to keep out the mosquitos. Newer examples I've seen photos of have much larger flaps around the hinges.

This past summer my 3 year old reached the size where the tent was uncomfortable for us all. I sold the Eezi-awn here in Canada for enough to replace it with an RV-3.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a Mare RTT mounted when I need it on our Land Cruiser 100 series.

Pros:
Lightest in its class (88lbs with mounts)
No wood used, all aluminum or canvas
Heavy duty cover with excellent moisture protection
Can self support without ladder
Comfortable mattress

Cons:
It takes longer then 5 minutes to close up properly
Would prefer a stronger built ladder
Ladder not adjustable, I have since modded ladder to adjust

AKRover

Adventurer
I have an ARB III that I got this past summer. So far I think it's great and the rest of the family really likes it too. It is much heavier and bulkier then the ground tent we had been using but I guess it's a trade off

We just added a new baby to the family last week so hopefully we don't out grow it too soon.

Also, thanks for the tip on using the TIG welding rod to make that retainer clip. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles