School me on truck boxes...

ncgamedog

Observer
I am tossing around the idea of getting a toolbox for my MJ. There is just no room in the cab for anything if someone is ridding shotgun. If I do get one, it must be black, aluminum, and low profile or really even just a chest. I really despise the way toolboxes look especially on mini/midsize trucks. It would be handy for hauling things I want to keep dry. So what are some good brands that make a quality unit that doesnt break the bank? I have actually never had one through all the trucks I have owned...haha. I like the cam-lock style my buddy has but dont know the name. I think right now I am mainly leaning towards a chest that cant be seen above the bed at all.
thanks for any input! -J

jim65wagon

We use aluminum ATV boxes for the rack on our Tundra. They are 32"x12"x12". From Agri Supply. I painted ours black with some Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner.

2854297943_bd66b5eb19.jpg

GlennA

Adventurer
If you get a chest type, it will hinder using the bed to haul long items like sheets of plywood.

soonenough

Explorer
I have a Tradesman brand toolbox in the bed of my Tacoma that looks exactly like the one in the pic below (not my truck; this pic was from somewhere on TTORA). Tradesman and Husky (Home Depot's brand) toolboxes are identical except for the nameplate. I like that I'm able to carry things with me all the time, they don't take up space in the cab, they stay mostly dry, and they're somewhat secure (actually not really; the locks/latches aren't that sturdy). I also have my CB antenna mounted to the lid. I'd say the quality is pretty good, although I don't think it's on the same playing field as a UWS or custom-made box. I found mine on Craigslist locally for really cheap, but I looked continuously for several weeks before someone finally listed the kind I wanted (aluminum, black, and low profile).

The downside is that the box is ~22" deep, which is a big chunk of the 5' bed on my truck. So, as the previous poster mentioned, the bed is almost useless for carrying large items.

HuskyLowProfileTruckBox001.jpg

Last edited:

Travelmore

Adventurer
I run a box in my short bed MJ. Things I like: sits down in the bed not on the rails maximizing usable space (10 cubic feet), the chamfer on the bottom is key to it fitting between the wheel well and cab, does not block my view out the back at all, has space on either side to slip a bottle of antifreeze or anything that doesn't need to be locked up. It would be nice if had some built in organizers but that is what Tupperware storage containers are for.

It is a Weather Gaurd by Knack and if you want black scroll down to Model 674-5-01 All-Purpose Chest - Aluminum - Black 19x20x47 is the size of mine. There is a 55 inch wide unit that may fit if you don't have a bed liner but not sure.
http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_tool_boxes/view_products.php?subcat_id=15

wheelin%20%206-4-06%20009.jpg

ncgamedog

Observer
I run a box in my short bed MJ. Things I like: sits down in the bed not on the rails maximizing usable space (10 cubic feet), the chamfer on the bottom is key to it fitting between the wheel well and cab, does not block my view out the back at all, has space on either side to slip a bottle of antifreeze or anything that doesn't need to be locked up. It would be nice if had some built in organizers but that is what Tupperware storage containers are for.

It is a Weather Gaurd by Knack and if you want black scroll down to Model 674-5-01 All-Purpose Chest - Aluminum - Black 19x20x47 is the size of mine. There is a 55 inch wide unit that may fit if you don't have a bed liner but not sure.
http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_tool_boxes/view_products.php?subcat_id=15

wheelin%20%206-4-06%20009.jpg

i like what you have but its too tall. I want it to be flush with the bed rails and by my measurement, that is close to 16". I have yet to find anyone who makes a chest that is long enough that is not to tall. most are 19" tall and range from 36"-55" long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne