Differences in Propane Stoves?

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I received a new Ozark Trail propane stove (~$35) for Christmas to relieve my backpacking stove from breakfast and dual dish duty. Some research has lead me to believe that most inexpensive stoves are produced from the same wearhous in China.

My question is, is there a decent difference between my $35 Ozark Trail unit and say a $60 Coleman unit? Both dual burner 20k btu total, etc. etc. Is it worth it for me to return my Christmas present and "upgrade"?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Stoves of this type in general have a limited lifespan IMO.

I'd use what you have until it dies and then cross that bridge when you come to it.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Use it until it dies, if it dies....Not sure about the Ozark stove but I've got two coleman's, a 2 burner and a burner/grill. The coleman's have been great and though I've never had to replace any parts, the parts are available at many stores. Sure there are many more expensive and probably a little better stoves but for the amount I use them the coleman works fine. I will probably blow through a couple coleman stoves in my life time and still not come close to what a "good" stove will cost. Use the Ozark as long as you can.....

robert

Expedition Leader
A buddy of mine melted part of his Wal-mart stove when he put a large pot on it- apparently it radiated too much heat. Of course he did the same thing with a Coleman one a couple weeks later. He's got a real two burner cooktop now- outfitter style.

Personally I'm a fan of the two burner liquid fuel Coleman's. I think they cook much better and I know they're durable- there's tons of vintage ones still working. In addition to my 1980's model, I've got my grandfather's 1950's or early 60's that still works fine. I've got a propane adapter for it that I use occasionally when using my bulk tank, but I still prefer the hotter Coleman fuel and less issues in cold weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles