RSB's Radiant Red Tacoma build

keezer36

Adventurer
Good find and it really looks great now. Looked great stock too. I see too many of those Fabtech lifts here, they are usually accompanied by chrome stacks sticking out of the bed and something dangling from below the rear bumper.

Yeah, it could definitely use a little patina.

RSB

Adventurer
Thank-you. Yes—especially when you see these rigs on the trail. It's embarrassing.

Good find and it really looks great now. Looked great stock too. I see too many of those Fabtech lifts here, they are usually accompanied by chrome stacks sticking out of the bed and something dangling from below the rear bumper.

Yeah, it could definitely use a little patina.

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
Before ordering all the parts needed to bring my truck back down from the stratosphere, I was looking around for some ideas on a rear bumper w/tire carrier. Initially, I was heart-struck on the Demello wrap-around bumper w/side protection. I also really liked the design behind Nic's bumper. He has a really good build-up of it here:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230&highlight=tire+carrier

But then I spotted a bumper made by CBI and I just about fell over. CBI calls it the 'trailrider'. Here's a few pictures from their website...

DSCF3251.jpg

DSCF3252.jpg

DSCF3258.jpg

If I could just incorporate side protection, it'd be perfect. I also liked the idea of having the hinge open from the passenger side, and a way to mount a Hi-Lift at a 45—just like Nic's design. :D I also wasn't interested in overloading the rear of the truck and I still wanted to retain some of the distinguishing visual characteristics of a Toyota Tacoma.

Here's what I sent to CBI...

bumper1-XL.jpg

bumper2-XL.jpg

bumper3-XL.jpg

bumper4-XL.jpg

bumper5-XL.jpg

CBI liked the idea and considered it R&D. There's been a lot of interest in the design concept, but it hadn't been done yet. So, it was up to Steve and his creative genius to come up w/something awesome!! :victory:

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
In the meantime, I made a few other additions in security. First, I installed a new Tuffy Series II security console to lock-up valuables inside the cab. Because Tuffy doesn't have one designed specifically for the Tacoma, I had to buy the universal console and grind roughly 1/2in off the base to make it level w/the floor. Be sure to order the charcoal if you have the grey interior. I originally ordered it in light grey but then realized the console was darker than the rest of the truck. It cost me an extra $40 to ship it back and to re-order the right one.

18-XL.jpg

20-XL.jpg

17-XL.jpg

12-XL.jpg

19-XL.jpg

I'm still not sure about the rear cup holder. I might try to relocate it near the bottom of the console or remove it altogether.

Overall, I'm happy with the console. :) I even added a gas strut assembly so the lid pops open when I press the release button.

I also added the 'Ravelco Anti-Theft Device'. Since about the time I added the canopy, I've been really nervous about theft. I've always thought a thief would be more likely to drive my truck off somewhere and strip off all the parts at a remote location. From what I found, OnStar, LoJack, and even remote vehicle ignition systems (smart keys) can all be defeated. The objective is to prevent someone from taking the vehicle to their place of choice—not to stop a smash & grab thief!

My research lead me company called Ravelco. They have a 30-year track record with not one vehicle ever stolen. Quite impressive!

The simple design and reliability made it very attractive. It was an easy decision considering the alternative options out there.

3-XL.jpg

1-XL.jpg

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
2-XL.jpg

4-XL.jpg

I had to drive out of state to get this done!

Now, as long as I remember to pull the plug when parking the truck—I won't need to worry as much about not finding it where I left it! :)

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
thanks for the kind words guys. I carry a Haligan for emergency extrication. If I'm ever on the road and I need to get someone out of a burning or overturned vehicle in a life-threatening situation—before emergency response is even dispatched—I have a tool to help me.

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
Complete with the tire carrier.

The tire pictured is a 35, so my 33 would appear a bit smaller. :)

shop-4-XL.jpg

shop-5-XL.jpg

shop-6-XL.jpg

Now I just wait for it to get here. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Youngunner

Adventurer
I see...we carry haligans on our ambulances and the fire guys go crazy because we just do our own extrication!

I'm diggin that bumper! Don't forget to re-inforce the frame if you haven't!

Love the bumper! I talked to Brant @ CBI about something very similar more than a month ago, and you know what pics he sent me to describe what he could do? Your bumper! :D And I mean those exact pics of it on the blue Taco that you just posted above! At that time he called it the "Hybrid Trailrunner." I've asked him to do one with a few minor tweaks for my truck. Can't wait to give it a go.

Great concept, and thanks for paving the way for a new CBI design that they've now decided to make a standard offering (I presume).

sargeek

Adventurer
Tire Side

Why do you want the tire on the right side??? I would think that they had it correct on the left side behind the driver. If you are driving and look over your right shoulder when backing, now you are looking at your spare. If the spare is behind the driver, you will get a little more visability.

Otherwise, I really like your build. I wish I had the money to build a truck that quickly. Keep up the great work and keep taking pictures.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Looking great for a first gen taco build. Makes me miss mine but I do love my 2nd gen. Seems like quite the adventure along the way. Looking forward to seeing the continuation of your project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94