RSB's Radiant Red Tacoma build

RSB

Adventurer
Ya, in a life-threatening situation where there is no time to spare, I really don't see myself standing around to watch. :Wow1:

Thanks! Yes, CBI ships-out frame reinforcements w/all their rear bumpers. I don't have mine installed yet, but I don't plan on hitting the trails again until I do.

I see...we carry haligans on our ambulances and the fire guys go crazy because we just do our own extrication!

I'm diggin that bumper! Don't forget to re-inforce the frame if you haven't!

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
haha nope! just some of my dad's talent I guess! family of firefighters in SoCal, but finishing college & workin a job in tech support in the meantime. Applying to Oklahoma City Fire this week!

ya, the bumper is awesome! :yikes:

architect? you have the handwirting... like the bumper design!

RSB

Adventurer
No kidding!? That's awesome! You'll love it. ;)

I had a feeling is was going to be popular...

Love the bumper! I talked to Brant @ CBI about something very similar more than a month ago, and you know what pics he sent me to describe what he could do? Your bumper! :D And I mean those exact pics of it on the blue Taco that you just posted above! At that time he called it the "Hybrid Trailrunner." I've asked him to do one with a few minor tweaks for my truck. Can't wait to give it a go.

Great concept, and thanks for paving the way for a new CBI design that they've now decided to make a standard offering (I presume).

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
I had my last front bumper sprayed w/wrinkle powdercoating, and I really didn't like it. :( Although durable, it was very difficult to clean. The regular powdercoat is nice, but IMHO it doesn't hold up very well in appearance on high-use areas like sliders or rear bumpers. I considered regular Line-X, but I learned it doesn't do well on sliders either and in my experience—quickly fades to grey.

Then I discovered Line-X Xtra. It gives a deep black color and is marketed as 'guaranteed not to fade'. Although Line-X claims it's much more durable, I still wasn't convinced it'd hold-up on the sliders. But on the rear bumper? Hmmm. I was also concerned about the appearance. Too much Line-X and it could look bad.

Ultimately, I decided to go w/the Line-X Xtra. And since I was doing the bumper, I figured I'd do the fenders too! I was sold after seeing it done by wtwnsnd:

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1324757&highlight=line-x+xtra#post1324757

http://rides.webshots.com/album/564931124EDfDOl

For the sliders, I decided to stick w/wrinkle powdercoating. Although difficult to clean, IMO they wouldn't be as slippery when wet and would look better than regular powdercoat all scratched-up.

A few weeks later and the bumper finally arrived! Line-X had it within a few hours. :cool:

ANOTHER two weeks went by until my friend Chris and I were able to get inside his heated workshop (very cold out this time of year). We were very impressed with how easy it was to install.

Here's how it turned-out w/the truck all cleaned-up (w/a few other additions :))...

finished-2-XL.jpg

finished-3-XL.jpg

finished-4-XL.jpg

finished-10-XL.jpg

finished-9-XL.jpg

finished-8-XL.jpg

finished-6-XL.jpg

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
finished-1-XL.jpg

finished-5-XL.jpg

finished-7-XL.jpg

finished-11-XL.jpg

finished-13-XL.jpg

This was the problem area. Although minor, the holes didn't line-up w/the base on the Hi-Lift. Apparently, Hi-Lift has a tendency to change where the holes are located. A few new holes drilled through the base of the Hi-Lift and it was good to go. Steve is now aware and I'm sure has corrected the issue for later models. Later, I'll add RAM mounts or something similar instead of wing nuts to make the Hi-Lift as easy to use as the tools I have on-board the roof rack. :sombrero:

finished-14-XL.jpg

finished-15-XL.jpg

finished-16-XL.jpg

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
finished-24-XL.jpg

Additional equipment...

Demello Off-road heavy-duty round rock sliders
Yakima King Cobra bike rack
ARB Safari snorkel

Overall, I'm very impressed with the results. Aesthetically alone, it's one of the best I've ever seen fabricated for the Toyota Tacoma. The design is truly stunning. Very high quality and actually looks like it belongs on the truck! Definitely well worth the 3-month wait. Heck, I would've waited a year if I had to. :cool:

The Line-X altogether was around $700. :coffeedrink: The weatherstripping on each fender ($20/piece! :eek:) and every single fender snap ($40 total) had to be replaced. Time will tell for sure how well it holds up.

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
Thanks! Very true. However, I felt I would want see the rear view more often when moving forward (using the rear view mirror) than when backing-up. Since I could see traffic better directly behind me with the mirror than on the passenger side, I opted to have the spare mounted on the right.

Why do you want the tire on the right side??? I would think that they had it correct on the left side behind the driver. If you are driving and look over your right shoulder when backing, now you are looking at your spare. If the spare is behind the driver, you will get a little more visability.

Otherwise, I really like your build. I wish I had the money to build a truck that quickly. Keep up the great work and keep taking pictures.

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Sick! You have one of the best looking Tacos I have ever seen. Quick question though, did you have any issues with the 15" wheels? I was under the impression that 15 inchers wouldn't work with the 03-04's with antilock breaks.

mr.trd

Adventurer
Very good write up Ryan. As you know, I love the way you have built this truck!

And yes, the TrailRider Hybrid is now a standard item for us. Thank You for being brave enough to be the first one to just trust that you would get something you liked. Again Thank You.

RSB

Adventurer
Thanks Brant! Jeesh. If you guys weren't in the United States, I don't know what I'd do.

The pleasure's mine. Glad to know others have the same opportunity to carry it too. :)

Very good write up Ryan. As you know, I love the way you have built this truck!

And yes, the TrailRider Hybrid is now a standard item for us. Thank You for being brave enough to be the first one to just trust that you would get something you liked. Again Thank You.

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
Thanks!

Nope, haven't had any issues but I understand your concern. I bought these from Wheeler's Offroad. They claim they clear the calipers, which is an issue w/most other 15in wheels on our trucks. Unless you have Vehicle Stability Control on-board, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm

Sick! You have one of the best looking Tacos I have ever seen. Quick question though, did you have any issues with the 15" wheels? I was under the impression that 15 inchers wouldn't work with the 03-04's with antilock breaks.

Last edited:

RidgeHunter

Awesome truck man, makes me want a first gen badly!

I don't like Radiant Red on a stock truck, but the contrast with the black steelies, skinny muds and armor looks absolutely awesome!

Very well thought out and functional rig.

Your truck looks fantastic! Love that its Radiant Red too:elkgrin: Great choice on getting CBI. A pair of sliders and two swing out bumpers later, they have made a customer for life out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94