Medic Bags

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I can see that I'll need to carve out some time to embark on a medical training program. It has long been a gap in my skill set.

I recommend most people get a wilderness something or other - wilderness first responder, EMT, etc.

The non-wilderness courses train you to be 10 minutes away from a hospital...thats not reality for most of us.

amocaT

Adventurer
This is what I just bought to build a 1st aid kit. Compact and everything is visible. It's a Blackhawk Medic Roll.

18237IMG1_L.jpeg

18237IMG2_L.jpeg

762X39

Explorer
This is what I just bought to build a 1st aid kit. Compact and everything is visible. It's a Blackhawk Medic Roll.
It looks like a pretty good idea, just don't stuff it with crap like the photo shows:coffee:
I am using a Ferno bag I purchased after my first First Responder course I took in 2006 or there abouts.I stuffed about 50 4by4's into it,about 10 rolls of tape,good scissors,hemostats,2 really decent pairs of tweezers, a few battle order dressings (pressure dressings),4 litres of saline in 1 litre bottles, about 20 pairs of gloves and a pile of knuckle and fingertip dressings (just going by my personal experiences:)).Of course the steth and bp cuff go without saying.
I keep meds in a cool dry place (vacumn sealed in the cooler) but really, I mostly end up dealing with road rash or big bloody messes.For everthing else, I call in medevac and wait for the sartechs to show up!

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I recommend most people get a wilderness something or other - wilderness first responder, EMT, etc.

The non-wilderness courses train you to be 10 minutes away from a hospital...thats not reality for most of us.

Absolutely agree. Better for SHTF situations too.

robert

Expedition Leader
You can put a kit together cheaper yourself, but looking at some of the other kits out there will give you a good basis for what to put in your own. I'm one of those people who is more of a minimalist; look at what items can do double (or triple duty) as SunTsu noted. For example, I don't carry a lot of various bandaging supplies; I can make do with what I have and I can press a shirt or towel into service if the need arises. Personally I go through a lot more band aids and triple antibiotic than anything else- I hate getting blood on my stuff; not good for the paint. :)

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I generally don't recommend triple antibiotic ointment, when single will do (dont want to create antibiotic resistance in anyone).

Also, bandaids are the most used first aid item....I usually recommend that people have them handy somewhere other than their FA kit: It keeps the FA kit clean, organized and dry if you don't go into it all the time. I keep them in exterior pockets in their own ziplock bag.

ThomD

Explorer
Maybe it is a silly question, but why aren't more of these bags available in red? I always think of first aid kits as being red.

Dale

Adventurer
For thise of you with no First Aid Experience up to Street EMT Certification, I recomend a Wilderness First Responder Course in lieu of an expensive Backcountry Medical Kit. I personally have my kit down to 4 pairs of Nitrile Gloves, roll of climbing tape, large hankerchief and medium sized multitool (include your personal meds). You want something that will be with you at all times. Everything else can be improvised....Disclaimer, If your a WEMT-P or Wilderness Command Physician you'll have a different take on this.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I have heard good things about Stat Packs.

I have not held one in my hands, so I can't speak directly about their products. People I have spoken with like them, and I am seriously considering getting one of the backpack style packs for my EMS gear.

I think it would be easier to haul a backpack (leaving your hands free) to an injured party who happens to be nowhere close (or vehicle accessible) to my truck.

ThomD

Explorer
Stat Packs are available in red.

Thanks. I spent all my money on signing up for Wilderness First Aid, so now I'm feeling cheap. Those purpose built trauma bags, and the like, look cool, but may be out of my comfort zone this month.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Thanks. I spent all my money on signing up for Wilderness First Aid, so now I'm feeling cheap. Those purpose built trauma bags, and the like, look cool, but may be out of my comfort zone this month.

Don't worry about it: There isn't a medic bag or case in the world that's saved anyone's life. My 'official' field bag is a backpack (Kifaru Navigator), my 'doctors bag' is a black 'bail-out bag' from Countycomm.

Whatever works for you and gets the job done is fine. For the first few years of my prehospital medical life I used a plastic food container to hold my first aid kit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94