Medic Bags

sargeek

Adventurer
I am interested in replacing my Current Trauma Bag and expand it into a Trauma Bag/Expedition Medical Bag.

I am a current NREMT-B w/ an expired "Wilderness" rating, and my travel partner/wife is a PA.

I am currently looking at this BAG from Galls, but would like some suggestions?
342680.jpg

342642.jpg

At this point I am looking for a good bag, and will stock it as needed.

My move this to a different forum for more attention.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I've had good service from Conterra products, and have a Responder-II bag in each vehicle. My big bag is a Kifaru Navigator with E&E attached, however...

I have tried a lot of different bags, and I'm still looking for the right one.

cjl1357

Check out CSM Gears SARC Bag. I currently use one and absolutely love it. Large enough to carry everything, yet not to big to over stuff it. It is the bag that I use for vehicle operations and TEM's bag.

The owner of CSM is a retired Navy SARC Corpsman and his gear is second to none. Well thought out, and built like a tank.

roamingaz

Explorer
I am also looking for another bag so I can carry more stuff, I just passed my national registry for EMT-B and I am taking a wilderness class in March :wings:.

I like chinook medical, they carry alot of top quality gear a decent prices.
http://www.chinookmed.com/

Off Duty

Adventurer
This is the case I have been carrying for a while. It is by far the best protection for your gear. http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1550-EMS.html

Pelican makes great gear containers. We have them on most of the SAR team airboats, And I use them personally for both vehicle applications and small boat instruction. Use them to carry everything from 1st aid equiptment to radios, cell phone and wallet.

Waterproof, float and tough as nails.

But I don't want to hump them around in the field;) Too bulky/heavy. Need a soft bag for that.

cjl1357-Do you have a link for the bag you recommended?
CSM Gears SARC Bag.

Many thanks.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Black Hawk

Used to be top notch gear... before they outsourced everything and got too big for their own good.

For operational gear, I prefer North American Rescue or TAG (Tactical Assault Gear) for my bags and supplies - NA Rescue is #1 IMO but $$$.

cjl1357

www.csmgear.com

There are many options like everyone has listed above. I like the CSM bag because I found that I over stuffed averything else. Just about the right size and packs great.

If you are looking for something bigger, I would recommend Eagle Industries, or SOTECH.
www.eagleindustries.com
www.specopstech.com

I have a Mission Medical Pack from SOTECH and it will carry EVERYTHING!! Great bag, but I found that I carried everything plus in it and soon it weighed more than I did.

Hope some of this helps

93BLAZER

Explorer
I have a 30.00 Jansport backpack filled with trauma supplies.

I can see spending in upwards of 200 bucks on a trauma pack. I find that by jansport is waterproof, has backpack straps and lots of room.

I will say that the Pelican mentioned above is a sweet way to roll.

my .02

robert

Expedition Leader
Personally I find a backpack style bag to be a PITA to work out of for general use. Unless you are planning on carrying it longer distances, a regular style bag is easier to locate stuff in and get stuff out of without spilling stuff. I've used Iron Duck bags with two different EMS services and liked them; they're durable and they have an excellent warranty. I also like using a Pelican case for vehicle use in that it packs well and protects your supplies, but I use a smaller one than their 1500 series. Adventure Medical Kits makes decent, well thought out ready to buy kits if you don't want to be bothered putting one together yourself and if you've got the money.

Also having a bunch of smaller packs (kits) inside your main bag is great, but you can do the same thing with ziplock bags or inexpensive nylon bags if you're on a budget.

I'm also of the opinion that most folks way overpack on medical supplies, but that's just me. I can't tell you how many people I've come across who have stuff they aren't trained to use who say they carry it in case someone else may be trained to use it or for use only in a dire emergency.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Personally I find a backpack style bag to be a PITA to work out of for general use. Unless you are planning on carrying it longer distances, a regular style bag is easier to locate stuff in and get stuff out of without spilling stuff. I've used Iron Duck bags with two different EMS services and liked them; they're durable and they have an excellent warranty. I also like using a Pelican case for vehicle use in that it packs well and protects your supplies, but I use a smaller one than their 1500 series. Adventure Medical Kits makes decent, well thought out ready to buy kits if you don't want to be bothered putting one together yourself and if you've got the money.

Also having a bunch of smaller packs (kits) inside your main bag is great, but you can do the same thing with ziplock bags or inexpensive nylon bags if you're on a budget.

I'm also of the opinion that most folks way overpack on medical supplies, but that's just me. I can't tell you how many people I've come across who have stuff they aren't trained to use who say they carry it in case someone else may be trained to use it or for use only in a dire emergency.

I think that people tend to overpack, but of the wrong things, and tend to drastically underpack on certain items (like 4x4's). Part of the problem is that there are lots of items that are sort of single-purpose (eye patches, for example)....yes, they're nice to have, but you know what? A couple of 4x4's does the same thing. OB kits? I already carry everything I need, why duplicate it.

Commercially made kits are famous for this, and for loading the kit up with items that aren't really usable at all - scissors that can't even cut air, tweezers that are useful only for picking up boulders, etc. Then they don't include really important things like hemostatic agents (Quikclot gauze, for example). Modularity can be nice, but it can also be a hindrance - the Thomas series of bags, IMHO, force you to carry stuff their way, even if you don't want to.

I use a lot of ziplock bags (or ziplocks inside of vacuum sealed bags, to close up after I rip open the vac bag), as well. They're cheap, visible, lightweight, and sufficiently waterproof to protect most everything I carry - except for things like drugs and the pulseox, blood glucose meter, digital thermometers, which go in otterboxes for protection (the drugs stay in my refrigerator most of the time, too).

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I can see that I'll need to carve out some time to embark on a medical training program. It has long been a gap in my skill set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz