Rack

bat

Explorer
I was thinking about making a new rack to fit a high rise shell. My idea was to run a main tube out beyond the shell and hang a basket under it the main part of the rack is for surfboards. I was also thinking about maybe adding some 3x3/16 band to the mounting points inside the shell for support. I am open to any input good or bad to this idea thanks.
rack.JPG

Love the truck.

If you're thinking of supporting the rack on both the topper shell and the truck cab, I would advise you to reconsider. If the rack is rigid and inflexible in design (which 99%+ of racks are due to being constructed of steel tubing), then the first time your truck articulates and the bed tries to flex one way with the cab another, you're going to rip your rack out of its mounting bolts.

A lot of people choose to go the two-rack route: one small for above the passenger cab with another large one mounted to the topper.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you choose!

bat

Explorer
The rack is going to be only attached to the shell nothing between the cab and shell

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Any chance of getting some bigger, more detailed shots of your rig, and the shell?

That is one sweet ride and I'd love to see it in better detail!!:drool:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I think it would look pretty good! I have not seen anyone with a high rise cap build a rack like that, but I like the idea. Nice truck too!

I would anchor the rack with a decent sized plate on the inside and outside of the rack for good support. I wouldn't be worried about it flexing much. I have run fiberglass caps on frames that flex a lot and have never had issues, generally the bed itself stays pretty solid and it flexes more between the bed and the cab. The new Fords have pretty sturdy frames, and the roof rack would likely be able to flex with the cap (if it does) I would imagine.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I agree that I think it shouldnt be attaced to both the cab of the truck and the cap on the back.

As long as you stiffened it and tied it into the frame on the cap with a nice sized plate, I'm thinking it will hold just fine

More pictures though!!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'm unclear, is the rack going to mount to the shell or to the top of the bed rails?

Most that I've seen have their mount sandwiched between the top of the bed and the bottom of the shell. These tend to be a flat plate that is cantilevered out and the rack tubes sit on top of the plate. The whole arrangement looks like it should flex badly if the rack ever had any real load put on it. I've not liked any such that I've seen, but it seems to be done quite often. Perhaps it works? Wouldn't be my choice.

The other method that I have seen is to mount the rack to the shell itself. Composites do NOT like point loads. They need to have distributed loads. If you're going to go in this direction you almost can't make the load spreading plates too large, but you can make them too thick. Thicker than the wall of the tube is nearly pointless. If that results in a plate lacking enough rigidity then add a rib or some other, similar geometry rather than thickness. Adding thickness is not weight vs. rigidity efficient.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to create a simple internal frame for the shell, that would distribute the load onto the bed rails a bit more. Tying the rack into the bed and the cab would be a bad idea due to the frame flex. The rack should be built with a little clearance over the cab to allow some flex.

Excuse the lousy paint drawing.
rack.gif

Two (or three) of these simple supports inside. The side support tubes could be telescoping to fit it in there. Use a jack or a helper to put some upward force on it, insert pins to hold it and bolt on the external rack. It would sure look a lot cleaner and should be plenty sturdy. It would also give you plenty of spots to hang clothes, mount lights, etc. inside the shell.

bat

Explorer
The rack will sit on top of the shell with some 3x3/16 bands inside the shell for added support . My thinking on the bands was that it will give support and they will flex when needed but I am not real sure on that thinking.The rack will basically sit on top of the shell with 6 mounting points in the 1x2 .My roof on the shell is pretty strong when I walk on it there is very little movement. I am not sure what NTSQD means and maybe he can chime in on the mounting points. The basket will be made up of very light tubing to keep the weight down.
scan0001.jpg

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Now I understand the idea. Flat strap loaded in compression like that isn't very strong. The internal frame idea would be better. Basically you're building support columns inside of the shell to support where the rack's 'feet' land on the top of the shell.

Those columns and arches could be fiberglass and physically be part of the shell itself. Rough up the fiberglass where the supports want to be and use cardboard to form the shape of the support columns or arches and stringers, and tape it all in place. "Paint" the cardboard with resin. Use Bondo to provide a fillet in the inside corners so that the glass cloth will form into them better. Bondo is basically polyester resin and talc powder, so it will bond to the polyester resin likely used in the mfg of the shell.

Once all of that is in place start laminating fiberglass over all of cardboard. It's whole purpose is to define the shape, but leaving it inside of the fiberglass won't hurt anything. The size and shape of the arches/columns and stringer determines the strength. For compression the larger the perimeter distance the better. For the roof bending resistant stringers the larger the vertical dimension is the better. For ease of use I think that I'd use the width of the mounting flange for the width of the columns and arches.

Have a look at this page:
http://www.fibreglast.com/

EDIT: Something that looks like this:
attachment.php

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
^^^^^ Beautiful design. Well thought-out. I'm sure quite strong.

...and waaayy over-engineered for this purpose. After all, Bat says he's carrying surfboards. Not boulders. ;)

Good luck with the rack, Bat. Keep us posted on the build.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If he's carrying them into Baja the shell alone will likely not be enough. If he's carrying them to County Line in Malibu then the shell alone is more than enough.

bat

Explorer
I have never had a problem carrying surfboards on a shell in Baja and most times we have 4/6 boards on top. My main concern with this rack is the basket overhang and the weight being out in the air. I will not carry heavy items in the basket chairs,BBQ and such. My other concern is how much movement I will get front to back with the frame flexing, I can't see much movement in that direction but side to side might be a different story. Thanks again for the input.

bat

Explorer
Rack is done and this is the end result.,I will not carry heavy loads in the basket but I can stand in it and I weigh 175lbs. The part on top of the shell is for surfboards.

Attachments

• rack1 00001 (Small).JPG
    rack1 00001 (Small).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 68
  • rack1 00000 (Small).JPG
    rack1 00000 (Small).JPG
    68 KB · Views: 73
  • rack1 00002 (Small).JPG
    rack1 00002 (Small).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 48
  • rack1 00007 (Small).JPG
    rack1 00007 (Small).JPG