Hitch Riser?

telwyn

Adventurer
Getting my m416 ready to roll for a kayaking and flyfishing trip to the Everglades next weekend.

When I did a trial hookup this morning of the trailer to my Range Rover Sport using a 2 inch pintle adapter purchased from SAR Squid79 on ExPo (thanks!) I discovered that the hitch receiver on the Sport sits so low that the trailer looks quite unsafe to tow and this is even with the Sport at offroad height which it won't do on the highway.

IMG_6942.jpg

I think I need to purchase something like this hitch riser on Ebay and then connect the pintle adapter to the top receiver on the riser. Will this support the weight of a loaded trailer or are these designed more for a bike rack type setup?

Thanks!

Last edited:

XJINTX

Explorer
I am certainly no engineer nor towing expert but...

I have towed a lot of differnt trailers and pieces of equipment. Also living here in Texas I see a lot of "different" towing setups.

I don't want to be specific to this ebay example but I have seen same type attachments used. Both to raise the trailer to bumber height and to lower from higher bumper heights. I think you sould be fine with yours too.

That said i really like your setup of the trailer especially for your boats... I'm jealous! have a good trip.

dieselandmud

Adventurer
Move the trailer donut to the bottom hole. This will give you a few more inches. Be sure to use lots of grease in the hole. As it sits now, it is unsafe to tow. The trailer needs to sit close to level.

telwyn

Adventurer
donut?

Move the trailer donut to the bottom hole. This will give you a few more inches. Be sure to use lots of grease in the hole. As it sits now, it is unsafe to tow. The trailer needs to sit close to level.

Definitely no intent to tow as is. :smiley_drive:

Not sure what you mean by moving the donut to the bottom hole to pick up a few more inches? The hitch receiver on the Rover can't move any higher and the pintle on the m416 is fixed also.

I think my best solution is a hitch riser, just wanted to be sure it's safe to use one for a fairly heavy trailer.

Appreciate everyone's quick replies and advice on a Saturday morning...

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The tow bar casting on the M416 should have 2 tapered mounting points for the lunette. Yours is mounted in the top position. Move it to the lower position and you'll gain 4-6 inches. That's if yours is stock.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I would NOT get the one from Ebay that you posted. It's not meant to replace the mounting point from you truck and I highly doubt it's anywhere near as strong. I've only seen those used when people want to carry bikes with a hitch carrier AND still tow a trailer.
The one I've seen most is is like that posted by Borreg from E-trailer. I you look around, you can find one with an additional two holes for more adjustment. Those are made for the height adjustment, and will retain the strength/ratings from your truck hitch.

telwyn

Adventurer
Thanks! Taught me something new. I looked at the lunette and get it now. That will help a bit but the receiver sits so ridiculously low on the Rover I'll still need a riser I think.

wompser

you might consider somethign like I have:
3963424417_d0ac73e2e0_o.jpg

it works great. the guy I bought my trailer from had it welded up, I think you could have the same done. mine was actually too tall, and I cut it down and moved the hitch lower so my tailgate would clear it.

telwyn

Adventurer

Now you're talking! I'm having a hard enough time explaining all of the new towing gear to my wife - I should just go for the gusto and get the lift and bigger tires! :wings:

I think I'll go the route of the mounting plate on a receiver that allows you to bolt on an actual pintle hitch at the appropriate height. That coupled with moving the lunette lower should get the job done.

Anyone want to buy the pintle hitch I have now that goes straight into the 2 inch receiver? It's a beauty if your receiver is already the right height. I've reposted it in the For Sale section.

Last edited:

Faramir66103

Forgive my ignorance, but how does having the trailer sitting at an angle affect it's towing characteristics? I (perhaps unwisely) pulled my M416 all over with it at an angle, though not as sever as the OP and had no trouble at all. Educate me please.

Thanks,
Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier