3rd Gen 4runner Locker Switch Idea

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Has anyone tried to wire in the locker dial from a 80/100 series Landcruiser into the 1"x1" slot on the left hand side of the steering wheel and connect the factory 3rd Gen locker switch to it. Would it even fit?

Another question (lack of knowledge on my part)but if use the 80's series ff/rr locker dial would it be possible to wiring in the ARB locker switch into it with the compressor switch being in the 4runner's factory switch location?

I've just been wondering this for awhile. Since I have yet to see a 4runner with it or heard about anyone doing it. I think it would be pretty cool if it was possible.

This is the spot I'm talking about
IMG_0102.jpg

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Not sure on the fitment but I have seen the 80 F/R dial used in other applications. As for the ARB, yes... they are extremely easy to wire with just about any switch.

Bighead

Adventurer
If I remember correctly the Toyota dial was bigger than the spot you mentioned on the dash so you might have to do some cutting. The only place I have seen the dial mounted in a 3rd Gen was next to the T-case shifter (from Darren's site):

172-7207_IMG.jpg

I have my ARB locker (front and rear) and compressor switches in the knock-outs in your picture. Where your foglight switches are (L to R) I have the compressor and rear locker and my front locker in the bottom left knockout. It's been a while but I think I had to slightly widen the holes so the ARB switches would fit.

nater

Adventurer
I had thought about this, but came to the conclusion that the switch was too large for a "no cut" fit.

digitalferg

Adventurer
I've thought about this same thing but in relation to swapping in an 80 series e-lock front end (yes, there are some huge hurdles in doing that, lets muck up that other thread with that talk, not this one... :D ) But when I've looked at the blank, I've thought it looked way too big personally. So after these replies, I thought somebody needs to try it out. Lucky for me I've got the right 4runner and I just so happen to have a 100 series switch which is dimensionally identical to the 80 series switch (it has only RR rather than RR and FR/RR).

It's not a perfect fit, but I think its easily doable/workable. It actually fits in the dash cut-out width quite decently (could use a slight hair trimming) its the height of the dash cutout that would be the problem as it is about 1/4 or so taller. Sorry didn't grab my tape when I went just now, but from memory, the switch is 1.5"x1.5". I can get the pics again with a tape tomorrow.

IMO, it would be a real nice way to do a front and rear locker switch setup in any Toyota (or other vehicle). And I'm sure could be used of any number of other switched electronics. Also, I know for certain there are 80 series folks on IH8MUD using the 80 series switch for front and rear ARBs.

I had the switch all the way to the bottom of the dash cut-out in the pic so you could see the extra amount easily. It obviously would look better (line-up with the adjacent switch) if it was at or near the top of the cut-out.

-Ferg-

80-100switch_in_3rd-gen.jpg

blank_and_switch.jpg

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the photo's Lance and Ben. :victory:

I'm sure a little trim piece could be made somehow to fill in that little gap.

I still wonder what would go in that spot anyways.

nater

Adventurer
just mount the switch in the stock knockout, then pop the knockout into the hole... It would look totally stock that way... No need to fab a trim piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier