Which Shock?

• OME Shock

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Bilstein 5100 Shock

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

barlowrs

Explorer
Was planning on getting a Full OME susp for my 06 Tacoma, but I have heard good things about bilstein shocks. Now I need your opinions, I will still get Dakar springs, OME coils, etc, but would you guys suggest going with the OME shocks, or Bilstein 5100 shocks?

Thanks
Robert

Rozzi

Adventurer
I like the 5100s. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I have OME on both my 4runners. I am buying 5100s for my Tacoma.

4xdog

Explorer
We all get to buy new shocks for vehicles so rarely that almost all of our data is drawn from such a small set that biases are hard to avoid... I know mine is.

So, FWIW and YMMV, I have factory Bilstein shocks on my 2001 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD, and I installed a Bilstein shock + spring kit once upon a time on my old Jetta. In both cases they were durable, great-performing shocks and springs, but never dropped my jaw.

The Old Man Emu shocks + springs kit I put on my 1988 Cherokee XJ was simply **transformative**. The ride quality off road was superb, and the on-highway ride was vastly improved over the standard setup. A modest lift of about 1.5 - 2 inches (4 - 5 cm) allowed better clearance without other compromises. After ten years of Midwest winters they're still going strong. If (or when) I upgrade the Tacoma, I'll be hard pressed to move away from OME.

I spent the 30 extra bucks and went with the Bilsteins on a recommendation from Wheeler's Off-Road during my purchase. I use them with the OME Dakars rear and Icons up front. Love the setup, and have nothing but good to say.

(Never used OME shocks, fyi, so I have nothing come baseline from for you.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior