What's it like cooking with an old-fashioned enamelware skillet...

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Since they still make enamelware do you mean by "old-fashioned" an old enamelware skillet? It will probably stick because of scratches and porosity from normal wear and tear on an old skillet. A new one should be greased like any coated pan and try not to scratch it.

Last edited:

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
If you want a skillet to cook the perfect overeasy eggs, you need a Johnson Rose brand non stick in about a 6 - 7" size. Just melt a table spoon of unsalted butter break your eggs cook on med heat to start, then back off. When the whites stiffen up you just give it a shake to free things up a bit then a straight forward backward shuffle and the pan's lip does the flip. I have my 10 year old cooks my egg for me. She is now getting it right 80% of the time and loves doing it. Have fun!
Martin
PS the skillet has a 635 27 stamped on the botton

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
In my experience, if you're willing to use a tablespoon of butter for a batch of eggs, just about ANY decent small skillet will be non-stick.

Heck, a well-seasoned cast iron skillet is already like "80%" nonstick. Add a little more fat and you can do eggs no problem.

Its no accident that the rise of telfon coated "egg pans" in the second half of the 20th century coincided with the health craze that said that fat==evil. People were trying to cook eggs without any fat at all, which just isn't practical.
A little butter, margarine, or heck even olive oil if you like the flavor with eggs, but just some kind of fat in the pan is needed.

People who cook without fat in the pan are the same people who can't get a good brown on a chicken breast or build a pan sauce afterward...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94