dyogim's 00 tundra build

dyogim

Explorer
New toys for my birfday. PS3 to replace my consistently over-heating one (but it still works) and the winch. Now I need a winch plate to mount it.

IMG00021-20100709-1015.jpg

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
Current bumper has been modified and enhanced to mount the XRC10 winch. Winch is mounted but not wired. Still need to paint the winch plate and added metal. Here's some pics from my blackberry. I'll have better pics during the day. After these pics were taken, additional tabs were welded for the roller fairlead. The winch plate has been welded to the frame cross member and the two crossbars of the bumper. The lever to engage and disgage the winch was also modified for clearence.

IMG00028-20100718-1438.jpg

IMG00029-20100718-1438.jpg

IMG00030-20100718-1449.jpg

Thanks to Adam and Orlando of AnySevenOffRoad in San Leandro, CA!!!!

dyogim

Explorer
Finally rattle canned all the exposed metal, wired it up. Only thing left to do is attach the +/- cables to the battery. Need to get some new terminals for the top of the optima. Here's pretty much the final pics:

P7191503.JPG

P7191500.JPG

P7191507.JPG

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
Looks good Mike, nice to see your rig is still in action.

Good to hear from you!!! Still got the taco? Still building the Adventure Trailers? If you are reading up on the Cali Forum, there's a trip planned in September for the Rubicon. The date hasn't been set but, I'm hoping to get my upgrades done by then.

Otherwise what have you been up to lately?

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Good to hear from you!!! Still got the taco? Still building the Adventure Trailers? If you are reading up on the Cali Forum, there's a trip planned in September for the Rubicon. The date hasn't been set but, I'm hoping to get my upgrades done by then.

Otherwise what have you been up to lately?

The Con in Sept. sounds nice! Just set a date :drool:.
I'll PM you on the rest..

dyogim

Explorer
Another update. Have not been able to set a couple of hours aside for the swap. However, I did pick up another transfer case. I was in seach of a shifter lever as the one that came with my rebuild was bent pretty bad. Instead I found a really low priced xfer case that has been cleaned and has no issues.

Either case is the same case the tundra uses but, with some differences. I also removed the input shaft coupler. This is what determines manual or auto tranny application. The shorter one is for an auto and the taller one is for a manual tranny. I had an extra input shaft and I pulled the coupler off of that. At this point I'm pretty much set and ready for the swap. Here are some pics. Xfer case on the right is the one I had to fix and with the bad shifter. The left is the one I got yesterday all nice and clean. :D. Both are J-shift type of xfer cases and both are at the 4LO position. Tool on the left is a bearing puller I used for the couplers.

P7281526.JPG

P7281527.JPG

dyogim

Explorer
Swap of the xfer case is pretty much complete. I still need a shifter knob a console to hide the cut up carpet and replace connectors to match for the 4HI and 4LO senosrs. Here are some pics of the swap.

Starting on the left: tundra stock xfer case, taco xfer case i recently acquired, rebuilt xfer case with bad shifter.
P7311576.JPG

Beer break, Great White from Lost Coast Brewery.
P7311578.JPG

Bearing puller tool I used to separate the coupler from the input shaft.
P7311579.JPG

Tundra auto coupler left, taco auto coupler right.
P7311580.JPG

Drilled a hole to locate the start of the shifter opening. Used a sabre saw and a sawzall to cut the opening.
P7311587.JPG

Speed sensor. Tundra auto on the left.
P7311590.JPG

Shifter access complete.
P7311592.JPG

Manual xfer case mounted
P8011593.JPG

Everythin bolted up from underneath. 4LO, 4HI and ADD connectors hanging. Need to replace the connectors to allow the connection to the taco sensors. ADD setup will later be removed.
P8011616.JPG

Shifter installed. Need to find a shifter boot and knob to complete the swap.
P8011618.JPG

Otherwise, everything works. Need to get use to shifting gears in park and/or nuetral. No longer have "on the fly" shifting of 4WD.

Now I need to test everythin all long with the winch. :devil:

dyogim

Explorer
Correction on my previous post. I can actually shift on the fly as long as the front wheel hubs are locked and both front and rear driveshafts are spinning at the same speeds. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz